Help me pick a NEW 5.7 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I'm ready to start setting up a new (crate) engine for my 95 eclb 4x4.
It currently has the 5.7 TBI with only 260,000 miles, but I'd like to start collecting NEW parts that will bolt onto the NEW engine.
I really don't know if i could go to the vortec and not sure if I'd even want to. I don't know anything about them, but the TBI has been "perfect".:head3:

I like to tow and get decent mpg. I think I have ~260 h.p. with the original engine.

Is it better to go with the exact direct replacement or can I change it up a bit?
OR, even have a proffesional rebuild............? Only uses 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles if I'm tough on it...
Thanks for any help...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what he said....it'll help with your towing too.

it would be alot of work for minimal gain for you to swap FULLY to a vortec motor. if you've been satisfied with your previous TBI, I see no reason not to stay with it. though you could use some vortec heads and some kind of TBI for vortec head intake setup to get a worthwhile upgrade.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, nothing wrong with that, might as well put a couple turbos on that too.

68post

Reaction score
If you are very satisfied with your tbi then have it rebuilt as a 383 and have your #193 swirlport heads redone with just alittle cleanup & valve work done to them . Consider converting to an oem roller setup with a very small single pattern cam and I think you'll be very pleased.
You'll need full length headers and a free flowing exhaust to realize the gains in power and to boost mileage.

(swirlport heads will have superior torque and mileage compared to even the excellant vortec heads)
(idle to 4,000 rpm)

Last edited:

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The first consideration you need to make after establishing a budget of course, will be computer and emissions compliance. The 290 horse GM crate engine is a proven piece. Sometimes having a local TRUSTWORTHY shop rebuild yours is the best option. Some mail-away engines are risky. The more you decide to build up, the more parts you'll ri$k tearing up. First thing's first, what is your budget?