Help, cylinder misfire, rough idle, significant power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JrsK1500

Reaction score
I am new to here and i need help. There a misfire in cylinder in number four causing the truck to run really rough at times and when i step on it, it sometimes takes me quite a few seconds to get to cruising speed. Sputtering and shaking of course along with terrible fuel mileage. I have changed the fuel filter and plugs, cleaned out the throttle body and added a bottle of Gumout fuel injector cleaner to about a 3/4 tank of gas. Any suggestions on what i should do next? I bought a new coil pack today but wont be able to put it on tomorrow, hopefully that will do the trick. Vehicle is a 1996 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with the Vortec 5.7

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the cap, rotor, plug wires or fuel pressure? It could also be a stuck poppet for that cylinder.

JrsK1500

Reaction score
When I change the coil pack ill look at the cap and rotor. And the wire for cylinder number 4 I switched with the wire from the plug next to it. Scanned it and it still said the misfire was in cylinder 4. So the wires are still good. And as for a stuck poppet how would I go about that to see if its stuck? And the truck doesn't always idle rough. Only at times, but when accelerating (underload) it seems to be the worsr

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cap would be my bet. I had a similar problem recently, and my cap was just under two years old, and ended up being the issue. If you replace it, get a quality unit like an ACDelco, and replace the rotor while you're there. I

JrsK1500

Reaction score
I wasn't able to get the ACDelco one as i am on a high school budget. SES does flash when its really bad. Also sorry for my intelligence with this but is there a coil pack for each cylinder?

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
When I change the coil pack ill look at the cap and rotor. And the wire for cylinder number 4 I switched with the wire from the plug next to it. Scanned it and it still said the misfire was in cylinder 4. So the wires are still good. And as for a stuck poppet how would I go about that to see if its stuck? And the truck doesn't always idle rough. Only at times, but when accelerating (underload) it seems to be the worsr
if it was the coil pac you'd be missing on two cylinders not just one IIRC. we... that is unless there's one pac per cylinder.... i'm not able to recall if the vortec was set up like that?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope one coil on the pass side of the intake just like the tbi trucks.....

If you only have a misfire on one plug its probably not the coil. The flashing ses however is probably P0300 - multiple misfires.

How have you tracked it down to the #4 cylinder?

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
they aren't coil over plugs? or is that the LS motors? either way, if it's only one coil it'll miss on random cyliners not just one. so you need to focus on the electricial route for that one cylinder. like was stated before either wire, which youve eleminated, or cap and rotor. which is most likely. and the cheapest.

JrsK1500

Reaction score
I scanned it and it was code p0304 which is a cylinder 4 misfire