Hello from MO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98GMC465

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a good OBS community to share with, I think I found it. I've had my 98 GMC K1500 for about 2 years now. I bought it as a work truck with about 200K on it. It now has 240K and is still running great. About 3 weeks ago my 4L60E gave up again and I decided enough was enough. I planned on doing a NV4500 swap. I was prepared to spend a lot of money. A friend heard my plight and offered a cheap solution. He had an 88 K1500 350/SM465/NP241/14Bolt SF he would sell to me for $300. I jumped on it and started the swap. 50 hours later the truck was ready to roll out. I decided to throw some 35's on it since the auto was gone forever. A week later I received the PCM back in the mail. I drove it home tonight for the first time since the auto went down. Apparently I failed to notice that the shifter hit the dash and blocked 1st and 3rd gears. It was an interesting drive home with only 2nd and 4th. A shop vice, a torch, and a cheater pipe later I was back in business. Not bad for a $400 investment.

-The Muncie SM465 4-Speed was a direct swap, but requires a good sized hole in the floor pan (if you don't have a body lift).
-I used the 88's Transfer Case and front Driveshaft.
-I used the 98's rear Driveshaft.
-The 88 Clutch Master Cylinder & Pedal works but is not a direct swap, the pre-piloted holes in the 98 firewall did not match the 88 hardware. I used the Master Cylinder as a template and eyeballed it. I was lucky and everything lined up.

If you have any questions about the swap, feel free to ask.

You must be registered for see images attach

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
:welcome: I wish mine had an nv4500...maybe one day lol.

1ATony

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the site,it's great to have you here.

Tony