Hello from Atlanta. New to site and new to trucks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutaFocus

Reaction score
Hello,

For my first post here I have some questions. First a little background. I have an '07 Corvette and an '09 Subaru STI. I do some track days and I do a bit of Motorsports photography. I was given a 93 Chevy short bed regular cab from my inlaws. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it is the most basic of trucks. The body is good except for some minor dings and dents and two rusty areas in the cab corners. The trouble is it's a 4,3/5sp with no air. It does have PB & PS.

I'd like to build it as a project vehicle. My use for it when done is to tow my car to the track day, or tow an ATV I use to get from corner to corner on road courses when I photograph. I know it would be simpler to buy a more suitable truck, but I am looking forward to the project and I don't want a stock truck. I would like to use it to promote my photography business.

My plans are to swap in an LS motor, probably a 6.0l and auto trans. I need air too, so I will either do a junkyard swap from a donor truck with A/C, or use an aftermarket kit. A drop is a requirement too, but I don't know what to do about a drop. My brain tells me a 2/4 drop would be the most practical, but my heart wants at least a 4/6. Bear in mind I will be doing some, but not a lot of, towing and the infields of some tracks can be a little rough. I also wonder about the frame strength after cutting a C notch in it. I guess I could always box that area. Of course, paint, interior and music will need to be done also.

As far as ability, I have the skills to do all of the work less the paint. I need to learn more welding, but that's what the project is for anyway. I have a fairly well equipped garage with a 10,000 lb scissor lift, air and a bearing press along with standard hand tools. So I think I have everything to complete the truck. All I need to do is buy a welder and I've wanted to do that anyway. This will be a good excuse.

After all of that, what is everyone's opinion on the A/C swap and the drop issue?

Thanks for reading this long post!

Scott
Edit/Delete Message

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome, it sounds like an awesome project, you will love the ls motor swap, and I vote for 4-6 drop, if you go 2-4 you will end up still wanting more.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
welcome.. yes, go for a nice motor swap, and lowered down to 4/6.. it will look awesome and perform well too

OutaFocus

Reaction score
Welcome. I agree with everything stated above. Any pics of your rides ?

As requested.

Corvette:

You must be registered for see images attach

The only picture that shows the truck is one I took for the Corvette Forum showing the ramps I built to get the Corvette over the lift. You can kind of see it in the background:

You must be registered for see images attach

I need to take some of the STI as it's my daily driver and I haven't shot any of it yet.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome, welcome. It sounds like you have yourself a very blank canvas to start with, but hey, we've all gotta start somewhere.

A drop is a requirement too, but I don't know what to do about a drop. My brain tells me a 2/4 drop would be the most practical, but my heart wants at least a 4/6. Bear in mind I will be doing some, but not a lot of, towing and the infields of some tracks can be a little rough. I also wonder about the frame strength after cutting a C notch in it. I guess I could always box that area.

I think a 4/6 will do you fine for your needs. You said in the other thread you were going with the Hotchkis leafs and coils. That's a good start. Add a set of DJM spindles to the front and a pair of shackles and a c-notch to the rear and you'll have a 4/6 drop that rides and handles great. Those Hotchkis leafs were designed to get the best ride and handling with a 4" drop while still retaining as much of the stock load/towing capacity as possible. If you get to where you're loading them too much, add a set of helper bags and the issue will be solved. As far as the c-notch and frame strength, don't worry. That part of the frame will actually be stronger with the c-notch sections than stock.

I used to have a 5/8 drop on my '91. There were a few times that I took the truck across the open fields outside of Texas Motor Speedway to avoid traffic after races before those fields were turned into parking lots and campgrounds.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome, the motor swap is fairly straightforward. Check out my thread on it there are also a few other people here who have done it. Street and Performance carries a 508 sanden compressor kit for the LS motors which will allow you to run regular AC. Their website is www.hotrodlane.cc but it is easier to just call them and tell them what you need. They also make several parts for the swap.

Keep us posted and we'll help you out when you get stuck.