GT4 Gears,2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if any of the 2wd 1/2 ton trucks came with the factory GT4 3:73 rearend? im wanting to swap my 3:42 GU6 for some better street performance.All I can find is that rear in 4wd trucks which has a wider housing. I just want a good posi (G80) with better gears (GT4)

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most people snatch em up quick lol so you jist gotta come across one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya I noticed lol. but im not even sure if the GT4 gears were available in 2wd models. I found one at the junkyard today but they wanted $350 for the rearend and it was 4x4,and all could use is the carrier/ring and pinion.and honestly im a lil worried to install a new carrier in my housing because of thr spacers/shims.dont wana ruin a good gear set

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They did come in the 2wd but the 10 bolt G80 is a pile O' poo. If you wanted to upgrade and find gears easier, start looking at the light duty (6 lug) C2500 trucks. The axle is a semi float 14 bolt. What you will end up doing is building a 454ss rear end. Pull the 6 lug shafts out and send them to moser to be filled and redrilled to your 5 lug pattern. The last time I had that done it was around $100. Then you can swap all of your brake hardware off of your 10 bolt and it will swap to the 14SF. Done deal.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks sounds like an awesome idea! im just tired of the one tire fire (except in rain or snow). And im very low on cash just trying to add some pep to my 4.3

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk i dont really know a whole lot about the G80, my dad's 01 Silverado has the G80 and i just love the way it locks almost everytime

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that you will also need the ubolt plates as well. The last one I did I got for $100 from the local pick and pull. I did new brakes, wheel bearings, seals, axle shafts and fluids for under $300.