GMT400 Master Cylinder swap issue, need help ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyhighsami

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe that I just replaced all the brake components with new parts. 3/4 ton calipers, rotors, pads, drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, and a 2000 Master Cylinder. We got everything changed out, bled and ready to go. But when we went to leave the house to bed the brakes in it wouldn't shift out of park. When I removed the old MC there weren't any plugs or wires coming off it just the two brake lines and the two bolts holding it onto the booster. The new MC I got though does have a plug on it. Is the something we did or didn't do that is keeping the truck from shifting from park. Thank you for your help.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it possible while you were working on it that you unclipped the brake light switch from the booster pushrod, under the dash? It swivels around the stud on the brake pedal and then clips over the pushrod.

Or, less pedal travel with your new setup causing a marginal brake light switch to no longer activate?

Richard

skyhighsami

Reaction score
I am unclear what happened. Me and a friend fought like hell trying to get it in gear and couldn't. My wife comes home and first try straight in gear. If you're on the fence about this upgrade I highly recommend it. I did the 8600 lbs GVWR calipers, 1/2 ton pads and rotors and a 2000 Silverado master cylinder