GMC Grille Insert Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlgower

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a how to on how to separate the grille insert from the grille? I have a grille from a 1996 GMC truck and am looking to paint it, but am trying to separate the chrome trim from the black mesh, So I can both paint the mesh, and paint the grille shell itself without getting the chrome messed up. I've been searching the site and the web and have not found a good how to on this

Thanks in advance

Michael

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
The chrome ring is attached by studs that have been melted/pressed to hold it onto the grill, if you break them to take the chrome ring off im unsure of how to put it back on, you could always tape it off

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
They are melted in place, I tried to take the chrome trim piece off and they just snapped. Don't know of a way other than taping it off

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
honestly just tape the chrome ring off and check tape edge and you should be fine.... BUT if you really want to remove it it is posible but very time consuming!!!!!! use a heat gun with high setting and you can heat up the back side of the chrome rings tabs and pull little by little around the edge one tab at a time but it will take atleast two passes to get the tabs softened and pulled out from the face. maybe three passes. ive done it once when i did my custom billet grill. and to put it back on simply put it back on a melt the tabs one at a time and use something to press the tabs over to hold and cool.

or you could use a grinder and simply grind the tabs off and just glue the trim back onto the grill.... but like i said thats ALOT OF TIME!!!!! your best off to just tape it off AS-IS!

mlgower

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. Yea, I started just taping it off and will have the paint finished in the next day or 2. should be a excellent improvement over the W/T grille I have in there now. I'll post pics once I get it finished.

Michael