Getting "Faith" road ready again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
So, we start, I have a 1990 GMC K1500 Standard Cab Long Bed with the 4.3l V6, 5 speed (early trans). Bought her used back before christmas 2018, $1800 bucks and she was mine.
(When i first bought it)
You must be registered for see images attach

Ran good, needed an oil change and the trans was rattling. After further inspection, discovered frame rust. Dreaded frame rust.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
After some labor intensive wire brushing and breaking out some steel plate and the welder, got all the holes fixed and some new rear spring hangers put in er, then its on to the next issue, the trans

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Brought it into the shop, got er up on jackstands and started taking out the trans. And so more issues arised. Throwout bearing, SHOT

Clutch fork, you guessed it, SHOT
Throwout bearings in these trucks are commonly installed wrong, and thats what happened in this case, it got so bad that the springs on the clutch had a groove in them where there was no freeplay between them and the throwout bearing

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Youd think that the rattle was the throwout bearing, but boy was i wrong. Imput shaft bearing on this trans ate it, the plastic retainer in the bearig for the front half(early trans had a 2 peice bearing, front ball, rear roller) obliterated. So when the clutch was engaged (pedal up) it would rattle, that was the balls in the bearing knocking eachother, and that trans job was a pain, but as we speak, there is a new clutch in the truck, and a new bearing in the trans, and the trans is back in the truck

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Along the way while waiting for parts (bearing took forever to find because its a discontinued GM part) I replaced the idler arm, passenger side front CV axle, and new rear wheel cylinders and a brake line that i broke while replacing the wheel cylinders. As well as wirebrushing the entire frame and painting it with roll on bedliner. Frame looks brand new, and should help prevent more rust, hopefully

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Did the grille and headlights while waiting too.

Before
After

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Ill keep this updated when i get back home, am currently on vacation, and will be back to work on er saturday, got some things ordered for it (fender flares and new badges)

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
Today was the first time the truck ran since it has been up on jackstands. Put oil in the trans and attepmted to start er. Battery was low and i put the booster on it. Then, the fuel pump wouldnt run, so i thought id have a fuel pump replacement on my hands, but fortunatly, after a few cranks and turing the key off, the fuel pump ran again and she started right up

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
I figured id show what ive done so far

Done a little interior work (put a 98 shifter in it cause i like the way it looks better than the old style)

What it looks like with the fender flares on it

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
And with the frame painted and trans back in