gas gauge going crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd has an issure with the gas gauge.in park or standing still it bounces frome full to empty constantly, but while driving it seems fine.It is also accurate on my fuel level above 1/2 tank, anything under that is a guess. Ive been told there is an anti-slosh module in the tank that could be bad but ive also heard the float mad be bad.Any suggestions? thanks...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sender units are known to go bad on these trucks.

Check the ground back by the tank, that sometimes is troublesome....

Silverick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the sending unit part of the fuel pump assembly?

A bad ground would be so much better!!! lol

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
like so:

You must be registered for see images

IIRC.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Common problem. Mine actually changes with Vacuum all the time. When it's full it's about a half a tank mark past the full mark, and just like you, it moves stedily until half a tank, and then it drops like crazy.

Also, the common way to change the pump is to lift the bed off, if you have the equipment to do so. With the proper equipment it's easier, and less time consuming.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the pump today,gauge works fine now.And I found it easier on my truck to drop the tank.the bed bolts dont pass through the top of the bed and seemed easier to drop the tank