fresh vortec engine build won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shownshine55

Reaction score
I pulled the distributor, pulled the plastic cap, pulled what I would call the rotor (plastic piece with a metal tab)(correct me if I'm wrong), realigned the metal piece under the rotor. On the metal piece there is a cut out and an "8" above the cutout, on the distributor body there is a pointer. I centered up the cutout and the "8" to the pointer. I dropped the distributor back in several times before I had it where I wanted it. I put the rotor back on and aligned the metal tab with another pointer that has a "6" on it. This pointer is on the edge of the flat spot on the distributor body. The flat spot goes towards the front of the distributor towards the intake. The rotor's metal tab points towards #1 cylinder. I left the distributor slightly loose and had my dad turn it as I cranked the engine. There is a little more to it, but a quick google search will give the info that someone needs to do this correctly.

Initially I had left the power brakes port open on the back top of the intake. The engine would fire and rev to 2000 rpms and die. My dad said he could hear something sucking air. He found the open port/fitting. Once we taped it off, the engine fired up and idled at 1000 rpms. Whenever he is available we will check out that rattle and make sure everything is buttoned up.

I got to this point by googling how to set up the a distributor for a 5.7 vortec. I took info from a couple different sources and had help from my Dad who did the heavy lifting for me and has some experience with carbed engines.

Thanks goes out to Dave for pointed me in the right direction!