For the stick shift guys-ATF or Gear oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well I'd found the lube chart for my 95's a while back and for the T5-WC it stated GM Syncromesh, just fyi for anyone curious.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
These are both automatics not manuals and you don't use gear oil in automatics.

:lol: Yeah you right, last time they used "gear oil" in automatics was the old belt/chain driven models(late-60's FWD)....they used atf, but worked fine on lightweight gear oil too.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
:lol: Yeah you right, last time they used "gear oil" in automatics was the old belt/chain driven models(late-60's FWD)....they used atf, but worked fine on lightweight gear oil too.

Probably because the tolerances were measured in inches.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
yeah those trannies didnt last long enough to burn up....usually the chain drive connecting crankshaft to tranny input shaft would give out first.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'd found the lube chart for my 95's a while back and for the T5-WC it stated GM Syncromesh, just fyi for anyone curious.

Not to argue but every T-5 I've seen takes ATF, but I'm not an expert and the ones I've see are mainly limited to 4th Gen F-bodys and a few from mustangs....

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
ATF is the closest replacement to Syncromesh........it's not technically the same thing, just is the closest thing to use, especially if you don't like the $5-10 per quart of syncromesh.