fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I've found a nice little transmission fluid leak. It's on the back of the transmission where it meets the transfer case. The fluid runs off of the skid plate on the bottom of the transfer case so I can't exactly see where it's coming from.any idea?

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I took the skid plate off and cleaned out the bottom of my truck. The leak is coming from the seal between the output shaft and the transfer case. Anyone show me or tell me how to replace this seal?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which one? There is a paper gasket between the extension housing that the transmission mount bolts to and the t case. Also there is an oring type seal between transmission and extension housing.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to unbolt front drive shaft from t case, remove rear driveshaft, unplug/unhook everything from t case.

What I would do is completely remove t case and replace the paper gasket as well

After t case is out, place a jack under transmission to hold it up, undo the two bolts the hold the mount to the extension housing, then remove the bolts or nuts holding the housing to the trans.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couldn't I just remove the rear driveshaft, unbolt the extension housing, and change the seal?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to move the t case back a few inches anyways (I would just drop it out IMO). and I'm not sure if there is enough slack in everything to do that. But go ahead and Try it if it works, great!

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would be in the way to cause me to have to move the case?