Ever have 1 problem solved then another pops up, of course

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Josh ** 1990 ss454, new EGR valve, OBD!, jumped and shows no codes.

Dropped88** you answered your own question

LET IT SNOW** Edelbrock 1 3/4" shorty headers into a single 3" with Flowmaster **** exteneded to rear

1997** Yeah I guess 150 miles isn't too bad if the problem could be solved but Im going to really exhaust my in town search first

Like I said it had all of the usual checks done except for the data scans and that's above my skill level and understanding. The only thing not done at this point is rebuild the TBI itself (injector spray pattern is good btw)
I just want the thing to run as it should, I know its a weak motor hP wise but a 454 has to run better than what this one is does

Thanks Guys

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all greek to me and I cant find a soul who wants to or has the tools and/or knowledge to screw with this problem
How would you like to learn how? It's not that expensive and I can talk you through it. Just a working knowledge with windows apps and a couple $$.

TunerPro RT v5 free of charge (I'd suggest the $39 contribution)
http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

An ALDL 12 pin to USB cable $60
http://aldlcable.com/aldl.asp

Or, I'm ~110 miles from the border, LOL

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How would you like to learn how? It's not that expensive and I can talk you through it. Just a working knowledge with windows apps and a couple $$.

TunerPro RT v5 free of charge (I'd suggest the $39 contribution)
http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

An ALDL 12 pin to USB cable $60
http://aldlcable.com/aldl.asp

Or, I'm ~110 miles from the border, LOL

Pete to the rescue :D But I have just learned that my neighbor might have the setup you are talking about so let me check it out asap,
Then if not I may take you up on your offer, will a Chromebook work as my laptop?? Im pretty computer challenged so are you sure you want to undertake such a task?????
Anyways let me get back to you OK
Bobby

sparky

Reaction score
ive fought the tbi woes as well first thing checking fuel pressure my new gm pump made 11 pounds cold dropped to 9.5 with engine hot changed tbi pressure regulator made 12 cold 10.5 hot big improvement in power im running the factory 1991 computer the timing has been the biggest problem was at 4 btdc now at 6 btdc and it still stinks when hot in gear i just purchased a newer computer and the adapters for obd1 1000 dollars used so we are going to get serios with it now and im going to a adjustable pressure regulator and a fuel ratio gauge

kenbronnson73

Reaction score
Hey man I think you have a plugged cat.You can do a quick test by taking the oxygen sensor out and going for a ride.That little hole will uncork it enough to tell the difference if its plugged.Dont drive it far that exhaust can burn anything near the hole.If its sluggish but runs smooth...plugged exhaust.If sluggish but runs rough or wants to backfire under load then I would verify fuel pressure Under Load not just at idle.I have seen the hose on the pump in the tank split allowing pressure to bleed off in the tank.
Hope it helps,good luck.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes its the simplest of things, Ill explain. I took my truck in the shop some time ago and said it seemed sluggish so they checked everything possible, including fuel pressure which was in line. I also thought they had changed the fuel filter but when I look at my records I couldn't find it, so I thought what the hell, $10 and about 1/2 hour so Ill do it. Like I said sometimes its the easiest and by God it was. No more hesitation upon harder acceleration or stumbling like it did, it ran fine just driving normally but not if you pressed it down, now it runs like it should :rolleyes:
Bobby V