Engine Ticking noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OGKoopa.

Reaction score
I have a 350 V8(this is the motor that comes stock in a escb silverado right?) and the motor has started ticking. it ticks well i acclerate only and it goes from 1st gear then starts fading in 2nd and is gone in 3rd.? It doesnt do it when in idleing only as i accelerate. any one know what i could check for or replace?
-Thanks

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a ticking noise on mine but it did it all the time, not just when accelerating. I determined that I had a sticky lifter that had been plugged up with some sludge or something. I changed the oil and put in a quart of Rislone oil treatment. you use it instead of one quart of oil and it is full of special additives that help clean things out and prevent sludge build up.

After I did this the ticking started to get a lot better and the next time I changed the oil I used the Rislone again and now it's completely gone. I just recently changed the oil again and I didn't use the Rislone and it hasn't come back but I will probably use the Rislone every other or every 2 oil changes or so just to keep things cleaned out in there.

When I changed the oil and put the Rislone in for the first time I had the old filter cut open and it was really gummed up with sludge so I'm sure that it was excessive sludge build up that plugged up the lifter.

You might have a different problem since your's is only during acceleration but it could be caused by sludge also.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To the OP, it may be a sticky lifter like stated below or a exhaust leak, check for an exhaust leak first.
I had a ticking noise on mine but it did it all the time, not just when accelerating. I determined that I had a sticky lifter that had been plugged up with some sludge or something. I changed the oil and put in a quart of Rislone oil treatment. you use it instead of one quart of oil and it is full of special additives that help clean things out and prevent sludge build up.

After I did this the ticking started to get a lot better and the next time I changed the oil I used the Rislone again and now it's completely gone. I just recently changed the oil again and I didn't use the Rislone and it hasn't come back but I will probably use the Rislone every other or every 2 oil changes or so just to keep things cleaned out in there.

When I changed the oil and put the Rislone in for the first time I had the old filter cut open and it was really gummed up with sludge so I'm sure that it was excessive sludge build up that plugged up the lifter.

You might have a different problem since your's is only during acceleration but it could be caused by sludge also.

I would not use that stuff more then you have too, it did its job but isn't good to use as a normal thing. just stick to a good filter and normal oil changes

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a exhaust leak? those can make it sound likes its something internally also. put either is a lifter or exhaust leak, or possibly a intake leak. does it run and different?

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not use that stuff more then you have too, it did its job but isn't good to use as a normal thing. just stick to a good filter and normal oil changes
I've heard of some people using it every oil change or every other oil change for long periods of time. IDK I'll probably avoid using it too much if for no other reason than it's like $6 per quart. It's supposed to have all the same qualities as a good motor oil but you're probably right that it's best to avoid it for long term use.

On a side note if you drive lots of short trips and don't give the engine a chance to warm up fully that can contribute to sludge build up. I think that is probably what helped cause my problem.

I agree with the other members who suggested that it might possibly be an exhaust leak. That might explain why you can't here it at idle but when you are accelerating (more air flow) it's loud enough to hear...

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but, what could the ticking be if you can ONLY hear it during idle?

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but, what could the ticking be if you can ONLY hear it during idle?
Well just one possibility that I can think of. Maybe it's one of the same things (lifter or exhaust) but it's quiet enough that once the engine is above an idle it's overpowered by the other engine noises? Unlikely but possible.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Also, you can't really hear it in the engine bay. Only when you put your head under the truck. Sounds like an exhaust leak to me, except the opposite symptoms of the ones you listed. Sooo now I don't know. lol