Engine stumbles under light throttle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dads93Mark3

Reaction score
I have a 93 c1500 with a 5.7 350 with 235k miles. The engine runs fine on take off and on the throttle hard but under light throttle it spits and sputters.
I do have the check engine light that comes and goes. Seems to appear more often under idle conditions but once I’m going it goes away. Any ideas?

Attachments

• F4F0805B-6673-41AA-B9BE-438EF904E763.jpeg
    F4F0805B-6673-41AA-B9BE-438EF904E763.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 8

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 93 c1500 with a 5.7 350 with 235k miles. The engine runs fine on take off and on the throttle hard but under light throttle it spits and sputters.
I do have the check engine light that comes and goes. Seems to appear more often under idle conditions but once I’m going it goes away. Any ideas?
I like that color, what's the name of it? the color match looks pretty good too

Dads93Mark3

Reaction score
Thanks man, that’s a

it’s a dodge color called Velvet Red Pearl / PRV.
I used a dark sealer under it to get the dark burgundy color.​

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 91, threw a bunch of parts chasing the same sort of symptom. Would idle fine, rev fine with no load. But as soon as it was go time... stumble, sputter etc. Finally dropped the tank for a new pump, and the rubber hose that attached the pump to the hardline was swiss cheese, enough fuel to idle and rev, but not enough pressure to sustain the load requirements. So I would start with a new filter and then finding out what your fuel pressure is, both at idle and under load.

Dads93Mark3

Reaction score
On my 91, threw a bunch of parts chasing the same sort of symptom. Would idle fine, rev fine with no load. But as soon as it was go time... stumble, sputter etc. Finally dropped the tank for a new pump, and the rubber hose that attached the pump to the hardline was swiss cheese, enough fuel to idle and rev, but not enough pressure to sustain the load requirements. So I would start with a new filter and then finding out what your fuel pressure is, both at idle and under load.
Good information man. Thanks

Dads93Mark3

Reaction score
Have you tried to read the codes from that check engine light?
It is easy to do and all you need is a paperclip.
Plenty of posts on how to do it.
Try that first and tell us what it says.
I checked the code today and it’s a 43 Electronic Spark Control. So I will replace it tomorrow and let ya know if that fixes the problem

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd be better off to diagnose that code using the service manual procedure. This could just as easily be a wire harness problem as a fault in the ESC module.