Electric fire under hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

javigo1971

Reaction score
Hi guys so today I went and try to install the govenor with the cover and gasket... I hit the cover with a pice of 2x4...and hammer.... And I think I pushed the center alittle too much... Not sure if it's hitting the back. Of the governor inside..
Cause when I start the truck..

Noo shifting.... At all..
Not in reverse.. In drive or 1st or 2nd
Then I poor some tranny oil cause wasn't enough on the dipstick...
Bummer.... Then after letting the engine get on temperature.. To check on the oil level... I notice a decent engine oil leak. Dripping over the driver side exhaust.. Under the oil filter...???..
Now what..?.
So looks like the oil I think is coming from top of engine maybe arround the driver head...
Possibly oil sensor.. Or what else..?
Any clues guys..?

Attachments

• IMG_20220316_181243.jpg
    IMG_20220316_181243.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220316_182215.jpg
    IMG_20220316_182215.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220316_182809_1.jpg
    IMG_20220316_182809_1.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220316_181921.jpg
    IMG_20220316_181921.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 5

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went and try to install the govenor with the cover and gasket... I hit the cover with a pice of 2x4...and hammer.... And I think I pushed the center alittle too much... Not sure if it's hitting the back. Of the governor inside..
Please--come here and smack my Governor with a 2X4. You'll be arrested, unless you've got a BLM protest sign.

Don't hit the governor cover in the middle. It's intended to be driven-in with force around the outer rim. A short piece of PVC pipe, or metal pipe about the same diameter as the cover would work OK. Hammer on the pipe so the force is distributed fairly evenly around the outside of the cover.

I would pull the governor for examination.

when I start the truck..

Noo shifting.... At all..
Not in reverse.. In drive or 1st or 2nd
Reverse and first don't rely on the governor. If you don't have reverse and/or first, it's something else. Fix that FIRST.

Then I poor some tranny oil cause wasn't enough on the dipstick...
Yeah, that could do it.

Bummer.... Then after letting the engine get on temperature.. To check on the oil level... I notice a decent engine oil leak. Dripping over the driver side exhaust.. Under the oil filter...???..
Now what..?.
So looks like the oil I think is coming from top of engine maybe arround the driver head...
Possibly oil sensor.. Or what else..?
Oil pressure sensor beside distributor is a good guess. A failed distributor gasket can leak oil. A loose distributor that doesn't compress the gasket can leak oil.

The rear of the intake manifold can leak oil if the seal is defective. Generally, that's made worse by excess blow-by.

Small-blocks have a pipe-plug sealing an oil gallery near there--but if the heads haven't been taken off, that's not a likely leak-point since the plug is mostly covered by the heads.

javigo1971

Reaction score
Thank you again guys for your input..
I found the leak was endeed the oil pressure sensor...leaking under the brass connector.... So tomorrow I will add some kind of seal or something cause I thigh it up more but still leaks a bit.

On the shifting issue still no luck.
Remove the governor cover... It was fine no hitting... Clean the valve was moving up and down.
This time I went and use a rubber mallet.. And tap arround the edge with a flat head screwdriver... Nice and tight
I try to adjust the cable on the tbi... It felt right to me not too lose.. Alittle on the firm side.
Chekc the fluid level was a little over fill..?.... Still no shifting...no weird noises either.. Unless I miss a connection when replacing the harnees.. But it shoud shift right? Even with some missing electric conections...the only conectors I Coud miss was the tcc conector.. Speed sensor... And transfer connector..? Etc.. Besides the governor and the TV cable..?
Don't know what else to do...?
Thanks guys