Dually Hauler from Dallas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gooseneck? You're after a big boy trailer. I actually have a gooseneck to install in mine as well, hoping this coming weekend. How big of a trailer are you looking at? One with living quarters?
Not living quarters big. It's just 28' on the floor. But it is a steel trailer. Not one of the disposable stick-and-staple trailers so popular these days.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool project! I'm trying to build an '88 C3500 SRW into a tow pig. It has a gooseneck hitch, but the current plan is to stick with regular trailers, that way if the tow pig goes down we can haul the race car with a U-Haul. We had a Dodge 2500 puke its Cummins on the three-mile-long causeway between Mobile and Daphne, AL. Fortunately our second vehicle was able to get the trailer off the bridge while we waited for a tow truck for the Dodge.

When you go to Pull-A-Part, check Suburbans for good taillight harnesses. The pickups have always been butchered.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had a couple hauler failures.
The worst was a 2002 SRW Duramax 4x4. We were competing at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb in 2011.
The teams get up at 1am to tote their cars up to the start line and setup their paddocks.
We had our race-ready car and spares loaded in the trailer, hitched to the truck.
1am, the entire crew gets up and loads into our personnel transport sedan and our crew cab truck.
We turn the key and that was the morning that the filter base seal failed. The truck would crank, but it wouldn't start. We had to scramble to find a truck that could pull our trailer up to Pikes Peak at 2 in the morning!
We ended up with a half ton Squarebody that the owner of the courtyard cabins had, and an extra Jeep Cherokee to haul the other people up. It was embarrassing. It was stressful. It made an already difficult day even worse.

And then we ran and won at Pikes Peak.

My girlfriend, the driver, immediately after she returned down the hill
You must be registered for see images attach

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't done much in the last week.
Only removed the empty second battery tray and installed the storage box.
The original owner had removed the battery and installed an air compressor there.
When I got the truck, the battery, it's wiring and the later air compressor was missing. The only hint of it were some hoses that the air lines had been run it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't done much in the last week.
Only removed the empty second battery tray and installed the storage box.
The original owner had removed the battery and installed an air compressor there.
When I got the truck, the battery, it's wiring and the later air compressor was missing. The only hint of it were some hoses that the air lines had been run it.

You're going to need to haul HEAVY to need bags. 3500# of tongue weight on a gooseneck won't necessitate them. With the upper overload spring, the duallies can handle lots of weight without squatting much.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're going to need to haul HEAVY to need bags. 3500# of tongue weight on a gooseneck won't necessitate them. With the upper overload spring, the duallies can handle lots of weight without squatting much.

The bags and brackets are still in the truck. Like many parts, they look beat. Not cracked and frayed beat, but getting close. I doubt I'll need them. And if for some reason things change and I do require overload bags, there are more modern compressor setups I can use.