Difficult question about my 4L60E, totally stumped!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Alright guys, I grew up around Fords and haven't wrenched much on this old Chevy of mine. Before you ask, I did research my problem, only problem is I've found several possible causes for my issues, meaning I've seen some of these problems separate in my research. I don't know if I just have several problems at once or if it's a totally different problem altogether. That, and this thing never can make up it's mind what's wrong with it. Since my dad bought the truck, first gear always wanted to wind out a little high, not what I've seen from other 4L60E's. Fast forward to when I inherited it, I started having a problem with overdrive, it would kick in and out really softly and the TC would lock and unlock at random. I could deal with that, but then it got to a point to where reverse didn't want to work and all forward gears were slipping pretty bad, and to top it off, the fluid was darker than the oil. The trans fluid was getting hot enough to send the coolant temp. gauge sky high. I let it sit for a few months, then just yesterday I needed it as a backup. Had some gear slip, not as bad, fluid was low. I added some fluid and two things took me by surprise, first was that it stopped slipping, almost entirely and second was that the fluid looked very clear after adding *maybe* a quart. Checked the fluid again this morning and it was low again, added some more, still clear, took it for a spin, everything was fine except the fluid magically vanished just driving around the block. It doesn't appear to have signs of a recent leak, so what gives? I'm fairly certain I'm checking it right, and there's a nice thick film on the dipstick, not just that thin residue from skimming the sides of the tube after adding fluid. I'm used to manuals and this thing will be getting one as soon as I can find one, but for right now I need the slushbox to hold me over for a bit longer. Any tips and help you guys can send my way is MUCH appreciated.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check fluid while running in park. Also check the radiator for signs of tranny fluid incase the cooler is leaking.

Reaction score
That's how I checked it, running in park, hot, after driving. Radiator shows no signs of transmission fluid. I just got back driving it home from work, noticed if I go easy on it, it shifts like it normally would. Moderate throttle, slips while shifting, very soft shifts. Anything above 1/2 throttle it'll hit the rev limiter and not shift until I let off the gas. When this problem first arose, acceleration was very sluggish, especially at highway speeds, revs would pick up then it wanted to bog down, speeds above 60 it did not like. Tonight I passed a car moving ~45mph on the highway, wasn't paying attention and when I looked at my speed I was pushing 90 (didn't kick down, just pulled in third gear), so I'm considering this a small improvement anyway.

Reaction score
Alright guys, got an important update. Trans is now perfect, EXCEPT there is no longer a second gear. No manual second, just gone. But, no more slipping in 1, 3, or OD and the TC locks up and stays locked in now. I'm done with automatics.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a corroded plug on the trans or something. It would not go back to acting right if the clutches are burned. It would slip a couple of times, then stop pulling all together. I DO NOT recommend changing the trans fluid. It will finish it off if you do. The computer in these trucks (yours being a 95) controls the shift points, and how hard the trans shifts. Either that, or someone may have swapped the wrong trans into your 95 at some point.

Reaction score
Honestly I was thinking that too. But now with everything else being fine, would corroded plugs account for no 2nd gear? If I stay in drive, it will engage if you feather it out of 1st but not pull at all. I have to take first to about 4,500 then let it into 3rd.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
That computer can do anything with that trans it wants. Corroded connections could also have burned 2nd gear up in it.