Did TBI mods and spacer today. Now truck dies upon accel from idle. please help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nobodys94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to show my tbi mods. LOL...

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Wanted to show my tbi mods. LOL...

Your PCV valve hose...wtf is that, a ketchup bottle cap plugging your T there lol... Is that airtight?l?

Also, the metal wrapped hose laying there open..

Actually do me a favor, pull the airfilter assembly, and snap a shot of the left, right front, and top down of the intake...ya' never know, we might see something.

Nobodys94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea what the plug is from. LOL (previous owner) Its a rubber cap of some sort..
That unplugged line goes to my vacuum gauge and is cracjked somewhere cause its hard plastic line..

I was thinking about something, I did the tbi mods and I cut the throttle shaft just over half way down to the butterflys. (only in the bores). But I didnt do just the center between the 2 screws that hold the butterflys. I did it to the whole exposed shaft all the way across the bores.. I have seen where most people dont do this part of the mod. As they dont feel its worth any gain. But clearly it is worth amore cfm. The few who have cut the shaft down also did the DIY adjustable fuel pressure reg mod, or aftermarket regulator or quarter mod.

I port heads for a local performance machine shop. So I just couldnt see unshrouding the injectors without opening up the bores somehow.

Sorry to keep posting, just thinking about it over and over.

Thanks again for the help..

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
I was thinking about something, I did the tbi mods and I cut the throttle shaft just over half way down to the butterflys. (only in the bores). But I didnt do just the center between the 2 screws that hold the butterflys. I did it to the whole exposed shaft all the way across the bores.. I have seen where most people dont do this part of the mod. As they dont feel its worth any gain. But clearly it is worth amore cfm. The few who have cut the shaft down also did the DIY adjustable fuel pressure reg mod, or aftermarket regulator or quarter mod.

I port heads for a local performance machine shop. So I just couldnt see unshrouding the injectors without opening up the bores somehow.

Sorry to keep posting, just thinking about it over and over.

Thanks again for the help..

That's way more bog than 2 or three CFM should account for. I'm still betting either a un metered vacuum leak, or fuel delivery issues (provided the throttle position sensor had a clean sweep).

What numbers did you get off it?

Also, did you have the pressure regulator apart?

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Here is your Vacuum diagram, btw

Nobodys94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TPS was rested at .60 and it had a clean sweep up and down as I opened and closed the tb as slowly and evenly as I could. Full throttle was 4.80 on the tps. I did not disassemble the INJ pod or regulator, just removed it and from TB and cleaned it with spray carb cleaner. It took half a can to get all the crap out of the regulator. I have also just noticed fuel on top if the tbi body right behind the regulator.

I was taking the pictures and had to go get my son from the bus stop, so I went down there without a breather on it. Its about 1/2 mile. I had no hesitation, or stumble and it literally blew the tires off and laid some nice marks. It wouldnt even power brake before I started doing the mods I have done to it. I was like wtf is going on. But coming back when truck was up to temp, it went back to doing the stumble but instead of dying it cutout and then bam, it came in very hard. Actually did hurt my neck. LOL.

Gonna do a sweep on the TPS again.

here are the pics u asked for.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Everything looks ok there in the photos, excepting, of course, the sketchy t-plug for the PCV vacuum. Is that ground nice and clean up on the T-stat housing?

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Cold/Warm can signify the ECU running in open loop, then going sideways when it goes closed loop and gets weird readings from a sensor.

I did not disassemble the INJ pod or regulator, just removed it and from TB and cleaned it with spray carb cleaner. It took half a can to get all the crap out of the regulator.
I have also just noticed fuel on top if the tbi body right behind the regulator.

Hmm...all the parts went in the way they came out, right?

We're running out of ideas here... you may have to just pull it and make sure something not misplaced in there from the work earlier.

Maybe something got stirred up, and is plugging the regulator shut?

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything looks ok there in the photos, excepting, of course, the sketchy t-plug for the PCV vacuum. Is that ground nice and clean up on the T-stat housing?

They sell the hose for the pcv valve at advance looks just like the factory one

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Nobodys94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm...all the parts went in the way they came out, right?

Maybe something got stirred up, and is plugging the regulator shut?

Yep , It went back as it came off.. I am beginning to wonder about the regulator myself. Going to pull it all back down and dble check everything.

TPS was .60 at closed throttle and had a nice even sweep up and down. It maxed out at 4.52 at full throttle..

U say I have to check ECT out of the truck. How do you do that?

Thanks again for all your help..