Dash Light Wiring Smoke...Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diesel920

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some help. 1998 z71 ECSB. Stock 5.7 vortec.

This weekend while pulling the boat home from the lake, I noticed a hot smell, like hot wiring. I also noticed what looked like some light smoke coming from the far left of the dash/possibly the vent (it was dark and I was trying to get it home in case it quit on me.) Then all the dash lights went out. I reached over and touched the light switch on the dash and it felt warm. I found that if I pushed in on it, (this is the on/off switch on the dash) that the lights would come back on but go out as soon as I let go. I got it home by holding that in so they stayed on and I parked it. I haven't had time to look at it but when I try to turn the lights on now they don't come on at all.

I feel like I should start at the light switch wiring but I am not an electrical expert. I wondered if anyone on here has dealt with anything similar. The people before me put in some really bad LED headlights that I need to replace back to stock so there might have been some less than trustworthy wiring done during that, I didn't know if there was a chance that bad LED lights could cause issues. Any advice would be great!

P.S....I hate electrical issues.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
it's the switch itself.... I had problems with this switch just not working right at all. replaced it and all is well. that's what your guna have to do.

see these old trucks dont have a body control module and as far as I understand it, the full voltage to these circuits runs through the switch. some dust or spilt coffee or some **** has probably created a short inside the switch.

remove the switch and see what you find. hopefully the wiring and plug is fine.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@thegawd is very likely correct. The switches are known to fail. Just possibly it could be the wiring or connection at the switch considering that the lights were messed with but most likely it will be the switch itself. Be sure and complete the thread and let us know what you find. It will help someone else with a similar problem down the line.

diesel920

Reaction score
Quick update. I dug into it last night and I’d say I found the problem. I’m hoping the switch went bad and allowed the short and it's not something deeper causing the issue. I have a new switch and connector on the way so I’ll update when everything is in.

Attachments

• D366A2E1-B8D6-422C-A494-DBAD00244B10.jpeg
    D366A2E1-B8D6-422C-A494-DBAD00244B10.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 8
  • D3B3C89D-7134-4303-8338-452C4B979DC3.jpeg
    D3B3C89D-7134-4303-8338-452C4B979DC3.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 7
  • B3A75E6E-9845-4894-91C3-CCC28192AD0F.jpeg
    B3A75E6E-9845-4894-91C3-CCC28192AD0F.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 7

diesel920

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Wanted to give an update/resolution. It did turn out to be the switch. Bought a new one and put it in and we are as good as new.

A couple things to note:
1. As you can see in the pictures, a good bit of the wires were burnt so I had to cut them back a bit to wire up the new ones.
2. After shopping around, I got the switch off RockAuto. I think the idea is that is a "universal" plug so the wires are all white rather than matching the harness from the truck. Just takes some time and care going wire by wire when cutting/connecting.

Thanks for everyone's input!