Cummins swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bestof1999

Reaction score
Hello hello hello. Well im still waiting on my suburban to get here but i've been thinking... How cool would it to have a Suburban with a cummins really putting out the mpgs... I have been a long time fan of the 4bt's and 6bt's, dreaming of my s10 getting one... But today im not here to talk about the s10, so sir.. Im talking about a 1999 suburban k1500 5.7l getting a little upgrade of its own.. a Cummins Diesel. Now i want something that i can flip for a little cash if i don't fall in love with it double down so i dont want to get all crazy like with it. Just a simple cummins 4bt, all stock... If i like it maybe some mods. The reason im leaning towards a 4bt is that 6bt is larger and more powerful and i am hoping to stick with my tranny (4l60e) can anyone tell me if this is possible on a budget under 1k?? (not the engine) just don't wanna drop whole lot.. The big this is i want my 4x4 to work, for weather up here in north dakota aint always gonna be smiling down on you. Is there anyway to make money off selling it once it is done, if i dont keep it

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i wouldnt even bother with a 60e behind a 4 or 6bt or anything other than whats in front of it stock.

as far as flipping it after youll end up having a decent amount more than anyone will probably pay. once you start modding things you dont in any way get your money back fully let alone double it. you can barely cut it close with an ls swap for 1k, i think your goals are quite honestly a bit unrealistic. nothin wrong with a 6bt either if your only reason for going 4bt was to keep a 4l60e which is just a not so great idea.

so no not really any way to make a decent profit, youll have more than a grand in it, and i wouldnt put either the 6bt or 4bt in front of a 60e

bestof1999

Reaction score
ok. I wasn't sold on selling the thing, just wanted to know what it would be worth. How hard is it to do the swap all together though.. What would be a good tyranny then. Looking for not a big challenge but something that's a little harder then a stock swap. would a 4l80 work or do i have to go with something dodge

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
803 would be better, otherwise whatevers behind a cummins, ill be blunt with you, research research research if you have to ask how hard it is dont attempt it, i mean that nicely. the guys that have done it never sat around asking how to do this and that, they had it all researched heavily and figured out way before hand, theres way more than plenty of builds focusing on the basics of pretty much every swap around.

bestof1999

Reaction score
The reason i ask how hard it is, I am in highschool and going to start a full time job so at this point i dont wanna end up getting into something i cant do.. This is GONNA get a Cummins just dont know when