Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Many coolants are very similar to Dexcool...... often referred to as Dexclones. You can get a Dexclone even though the coolant isn't Dexcool certified. Also, any coolant, even if green, that is extended life, is not regular green coolant. Regular green coolant is kind of hard to find, now. Prestone doesn't even make it anymore.

When I changed my radiator earlier this year I used Peak Long Life in the blue bottle. It goes in yellow, but turned green. I think it's a Dexclone.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually by Peak non diluted coolant, and use that in most of my vehicles. I never buy 50/50 mix coolant, it's usually a dollar or two less then the non diluted but your getting half of the amount. My 01' DTS with the Northstar requires Dexcool though, and i always run Dexcool in that.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I usually by Peak non diluted coolant, and use that in most of my vehicles. I never buy 50/50 mix coolant, it's usually a dollar or two less then the non diluted but your getting half of the amount. My 01' DTS with the Northstar requires Dexcool though, and i always run Dexcool in that.

Almost all GM vehicles after a certain year "require" Dexcool.

I'd never buy pre-mix either........ it would be just about impossible to get a 50/50 mix in the system anyway. The system would have to start out dry.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I run the orange stuff from GM, I don't remember what the bottle said now, I put it in there back in 2007. I HAVE noticed that my temp gauge has never gone above the 1/4 mark since then though, it used to hang around 185, now I think it's the 165 mark or something. I didn't know about the lawsuits though either....now ya'll have me worried. THANKS!!! :(

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I run the orange stuff from GM, I don't remember what the bottle said now, I put it in there back in 2007. I HAVE noticed that my temp gauge has never gone above the 1/4 mark since then though, it used to hang around 185, now I think it's the 165 mark or something. I didn't know about the lawsuits though either....now ya'll have me worried. THANKS!!! :(

That's probably a bad thermostat that sticks open. It could also be the sensor, just telling the guage the wrong information.