converting vortec to tbi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, so what im trying to do here is turn the 350 vortec in my 98 k1500 into either a tbi setup or carbeurated setup. I heard theres a harness from the main engine harness to make this possible. Can anyone help me in the direction im going or tell me that this is a no-go? I have no experience with anything other than fuel injected motors, so any help would be appreciated!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
There's eleventy bilion Vortec Carb intakes, and one Vortec TBI intake out there (Scoggin-Dickey).

From there, it's just wiring and plumbing.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its going into a 98 k1500 so the computer will still be there, or will i have to rid of the computer for the carb swap?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
its going into a 98 k1500 so the computer will still be there, or will i have to rid of the computer for the carb swap?

you weren't very clear on what you were doing in the first place. A TBI can run a 4l60E, if you swap to a carb, what would the computer be getting information from?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'll say the same thing a different way. The computer in your truck won't run a TBI or a carburetor. You'll have to ditch the black box computer that controls the 4L60E transmission in order to run a TBI or carburetor. Once you ditch the black box, you'll need a computer to control the transmission. It would be easier to ditch it all and run a carb with a standalone transmission controller than it would to try to set up a TBI.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, so what im trying to do here is turn the 350 vortec in my 98 k1500 into either a tbi setup or carbeurated setup. I heard theres a harness from the main engine harness to make this possible. Can anyone help me in the direction im going or tell me that this is a no-go? I have no experience with anything other than fuel injected motors, so any help would be appreciated!

I'm curious about why you want to do this?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no first gen Vortec fan but I would not spend money and effort to decrease HP. TBI's are dead simple, if you want that kind of reliability and ease of service, trade the newer truck for an older truck, be money and effort ahead.

Richard