Clutch Fan Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
How do you get the clutch fan off of a 98 k1500, i got electric fans that need to replace it. I rented the tool from oreilys but i still cant seem to get it off

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a torx socket jammed into the hole in the pulley and shove a pry bar between the neck of the pulley and the torx socket. I then grab my biggest cresent wrench (15") and unscrew it off of the water pump. The threads are normal right hand threads.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
If you have access to an air hammer, you can use it on the edge of the "nut" and it will break free, then just spin it off. Yes, Counter clockwise

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Strap wrench on the pulley.

In a pinch I've used a piece of rope and a stick to draw the serpentine belt tighter, which is like putting a strap wrench on the pulley. That's more of an "emergency" procedure though...

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
whenever i did mine i left the belt on and used a large crescent wrench and a big hammer and a couple whacks it was loose.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whenever i did mine i left the belt on and used a large crescent wrench and a big hammer and a couple whacks it was loose.

+1 on this...just leave the belt on, grab a large crescent wrench (I used a plumbers wrench once), and tap on it with a deadblow hammer.