CLUSTER TROUBLES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive noticed now that my new trucks cluster has a problem....i purchased it three weeks ago and the gas gauge was full from the previous owner. i put just over 200 miles on it and the gas gauge went to below 1/2 and then bounced from 3/4 back ... i thought this was weird becuase i know a 3500 with 4:10 gears and a 5.7l v8 does not get 30 miles to the gallon! lol however i looked in the manual and saw i have the 34 gallon tank, so i filled it and it needed 18 gallons. the needle went to full.

when the truck is shut off it does not go to the left like other gauges...it stays where it last was before the key turned off. today i filled it and the needle only went up to 3/4. i know something is wrong with the gauge but is it the gauge itself or is it something in the tank where it gets measured? is it a stepper motor? i noticed my oil pressure and temp guage also do not move to zero ( left ) when the truck is off but they work normal when engine is on...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Might be something wrong with the float on the fuel pump.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Fuel sending units are sketchy. Check the ground and the connector at the tank. Ground should be below the filler neck at the frame. Sender could be goin out. Its common.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These cluster's are well known for the fuel gauge having problem's, I have owned several that the fuel gauge was like that.

K3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok ill check the ground by the fuel neck .... what is the sender?

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
The sender is in the hanger assembly, Basically it is the hanger assembly. Along with the float. Its the part that the fuel pump attaches to inside the tank. When they go out they advertize it thru the goofy gauge readings.

K3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sooo could this faulty gauge mean the fuel pump is about to s*%t the bed??