Chopping the long bed to a short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharpe.trey

Reaction score
Gotta 2500 wanna chop the rclb to a rcsb want some help advice on this subject if its not a problem, as for the motor
to
RHS vortecs larger valved
GM hot cam
Summit intake
FAST ez efi

or

should I go with 454 ported TBI or 4 bbl TBI and dynamic's EBL system??

thoughts on that too are welcome to be discussed if need be

thinking about going big block later in the build but right now the frame and body are my main concerns HELP NEEDED!/WANTED!

Last edited:

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was me I would get a junk short bed truck pull the bed and use the frame for measurements.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With shortening the bed - I would do like jcro mentioned - get a short bed from the junkyard for the bed and for measurements - but I would think that all it takes is shortening the frame ends and moving the cross members - but I haven't looked into it.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
it seems easy enough but i think you will have to reposition the axle and get a new drive shaft along with changing/make new mounts for the bed and whatnot. it has been a while since i have looked at a short bed so i might be a little off but it sounds right to me

definitely get the bed for measurements before you start

Reaction score
never did one of these. however ive been involved in a couple/few on the earlier trucks . im sure its the same, its a chevy. you shorten it in the front portion of the bed/frame just like the factory extended it. the worst part is getting it all square again. but its doable im sure. back in the 70's-80's it was common practice to take a 3/4 ton and shorten it ,therby gettin heavier runnning gear and trans in a short bed. we all wanted em as short as possible. seen some creations "back in the day" lol.

sharpe.trey

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies hope to keep getting them too y'all are great just like the folks over at fullsizechevy

FUNINMUD

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good project. I've been thinking about it as well for my 98. Wheel with jeep people and would like to get rid of my jeep leaving me the 98. A short bed would allow it alot more friendly on trails.

mik2500

Reaction score
like stated above section it right behind the cab before the frame kicks up i think i would take a foot out of the top of the fram and a foot out of the botomn that way when you put it together it is not just a butt weld i guess i would have to draw it to make better sense of what i just said i will work on that