Long Bed -----> Short Bed conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cree

Reaction score
I have searched the forum and google and haven't really found a good answer to 2 questions I have. I plan on moving the spring perches and chopping the rear off the frame. I want to keep the truck as original as I can as there's sentimental value there, so a frame swap is off the table. I'm even debating just cutting down the bed. Might be more work than it's worth. The wheel arches need a patch anyway, so I may just swap it with a clean SB.

I already have the small gas tank. Using this method, do I need to move the tank and crossmember forward or not? If not, what do I do about the filler neck?

Lastly, what do you do about the rear shock mounts?

Thanks for any help in advance.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have searched the forum and google and haven't really found a good answer to 2 questions I have. I plan on moving the spring perches and chopping the rear off the frame....

But yet:

I want to keep the truck as original as I can.....

You just contradicted yourself in one breath. Let's chop the frame off, but keep the truck original. I'm from NEPA so I can say this... It's gotta be a PA thing.

With sentimental value, why not just keep it how it is? Short beds are hard enough to find, especially in the rust belt. But it's your truck your money, so I digress.

Cree

Reaction score
The filler neck does not need to be moved nor does the tank need to be moved
Wonderful, Thank you!
But yet:

You just contradicted yourself in one breath. Let's chop the frame off, but keep the truck original. I'm from NEPA so I can say this... It's gotta be a PA thing.

With sentimental value, why not just keep it how it is? Short beds are hard enough to find, especially in the rust belt. But it's your truck your money, so I digress.
Let me restate: I want to keep as much of the original truck as I can. We inherited a RCLB that belonged to my wife's grandfather. We don't need a long bed. We don't really even need a truck. However, if we're going to keep it I want it to fit in the 2 car side of my garage. It doesn't at the moment. Short beds here are plentiful, no issue getting a bed. I know where two the correct color are sitting already, I'm just trying to make sure I cover all bases before I pull any triggers.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a larger garage! I'm joking.

So there's nothing wrong with the long bed? It must be an extended cab if it doesn't fit in the garage?

I would say just leave it alone and buy yourself a short bed truck. If you are in most parts of the States (South, West, and some Mid-western States), still plenty of short beds trucks in good condition in supply, and could be had pretty cheap too. I get you don't have enough parking though. A carport, or borrow a parking space elsewhere may be the easier solution?

Here's the link of the thread that came to my mind: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/longbed-to-shortbed-swap.22556/page-2

Good luck.

Cree

Reaction score
There is a guy on here that did it. Is it worth it? No.

Do you trust your welding, do you know how to properly weld and reinforce a frame?
Well, yes, but there shouldn't be any welding involved from all I've read. Unless I decide to modify the current box.
Get a larger garage! I'm joking.

So there's nothing wrong with the long bed? It must be an extended cab if it doesn't fit in the garage?

I would say just leave it alone and buy yourself a short bed truck. If you are in most parts of the States (South, West, and some Mid-western States), still plenty of short beds trucks in good condition in supply, and could be had pretty cheap too. I get you don't have enough parking though. A carport, or borrow a parking space elsewhere may be the easier solution?

Here's the link of the thread that came to my mind: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/longbed-to-shortbed-swap.22556/page-2

Good luck.
Outside of some rust over the arches, no, nothing wrong with it. It's actually a pretty low mile truck for an 88 (107k). It's not and ext cab, the 2 car side of our garage is shallow, so it's inches from the garage wall to get in past the door.

My wife wants to keep it for obvious reasons, or I would just go get a RCSB if I actually had a need for a truck. This is a "have it, might as well make it what I like" type of project here.

No carports/external buildings, live in an HOA.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Well, yes, but there shouldn't be any welding involved from all I've read. Unless I decide to modify the current box.
There most certainly is welding involved how do think you will properly mount the short bed. A regular cab long bed wheel base is 131.5", reg cab short bed is 117.5", ext cab short is 141.5", and an ext cab long bed is 155.5"

You have to shorten the frame of a long bed 14" to fit the same dimensions of a short bed truck.

YOU CANNOT JUST MOUNT A SHORT BED TO A LONG BED TRUCK!

There is not a single company that makes a "kit" to do this like you can with the Square Bodies and older trucks.