Long Bed -----> Short Bed conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe there was an episode of "trucks" years back where they did it the right way on one of these trucks. Like @618 said, cut mid frame, z the cut and fishplate. Any other way is foolish, unsafe and will yield poor results.
If this was an easy thing to do right, there would be a LOT more short beds on the road!!! Lol
Everyone here is just wanting you to do it right and safe.
You must be registered for see images attach

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
isnt the reason you cant just hack the end off because this frame isnt just some simple parallel c channel the entire way after the cab to bed transition (perhaps some Heavier models are? chassis cab would be id think)

and because of that, you have either shape or thickness or height changes , width overall... that need to be considered. maybe the perches if you moved them literally just up you would have some hanging in the air and not on the frame, or they would be inside the frame in some amount.. either way not physically possible?

lastly, I could see just the factoroy structure and design just flat out changed frame length only in the mid part and what hes thinking hes gonna do is just something that wasnt ever gonna be the case when it was designed idfk. I know square bodies you cant just do that to them, except I believe chassis cabs (which came in diff length at the very ends ?)
This is correct the 3500HD cab and chassis recvd various frame lengths that were made to order with C-channel, and could be cut and welded to what ever specs an upfitter so chose.
I bet you're fun at parties where people have a difference of opinion. I like how you assume I'm an idiot because I'm looking at doing something the way you wouldn't. Way to make a guy feel welcome to a forum bud.
Dude I am a GM engineer, I do have a bit of knowledge when it comes to our trucks and how to safely do things.

The reason I am calling this idea, not you, stupid and foolish is because it is unsafe, and will cause a ton more headaches than needed. You need to listen to reason, or maybe this forum is not for you.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is correct the 3500HD cab and chassis recvd various frame lengths that were made to order with C-channel, and could be cut and welded to what ever specs an upfitter so chose.

Dude I am a GM engineer, I do have a bit of knowledge when it comes to our trucks and how to safely do things.

The reason I am calling this idea, not you, stupid and foolish is because it is unsafe, and will cause a ton more headaches than needed. You need to listen to reason, or maybe this forum is not for you.
What kind of engineer and what years/systems did it involve.

asking for things. and reasons. friend? lol

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet you're fun at parties where people have a difference of opinion. I like how you assume I'm an idiot because I'm looking at doing something the way you wouldn't. Way to make a guy feel welcome to a forum bud.
Calm down, it's not personal. You came here looking for advice, don't get upset when advice is provided. Just because you don't like how he phrased it doesn't mean he's wrong.
I'll also add that you set yourself up when you said you wanted to keep it original and heavily modify it. Those two things cannot both be true.
Looking at it, it will still be well aft of the bend. I'll probably put an under bed notch in while I'm in there. I'm waffling between a flip kit and a wishbone 3 link. I still want to be able to throw stuff in the bed, so it'll probably stay on leaf springs.

Guys, people have done this before. I see no difference between cut/welding a frame and just drilling holes when it comes to safety. Yes from what I understand there is a slight taper to the rails moving back. Shouldn't be much of an issue.

To those that are offering the information I asked for, thanks for that! For those offering opinions, noted. I'll be sure to post a thread when I start and document more thoroughly how it goes along the way. You can all laugh and bash me then if it doesn't work. You can bet I'll be test fitting a short box on there before I cut a single thing.
Gotta love guys who think they're smarter than everyone who's done it before, as if everyone else just wanted to make things more complicated for the fun of it.
There's a right way to do this, then there's the way you seem to be stuck on doing it.
Do it once, do it right, and be done with it.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
What kind of engineer and what years/systems did it involve.

asking for things. and reasons. friend? lol
I am in the Performance and Accessories area, I specialize in suspension and brakes for the newer trucks/suv's(2015+) but for only another week lol. Then I am going to be working at one of my local GM dealers making more $. Been their 3yrs and too much BS and not enough pay.

But that is neither here nor there.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calm down, it's not personal. You came here looking for advice, don't get upset when advice is provided. Just because you don't like how he phrased it doesn't mean he's wrong.
I'll also add that you set yourself up when you said you wanted to keep it original and heavily modify it. Those two things cannot both be true.

Gotta love guys who think they're smarter than everyone who's done it before, as if everyone else just wanted to make things more complicated for the fun of it.
There's a right way to do this, then there's the way you seem to be stuck on doing it.
Do it once, do it right, and be done with it.
^^^Agree with all this. If the truck has sentimental value why even take a chance on screwing it up. Sounds like it’s probably a really nice truck with only 107k on it. I personally hate seeing these trucks getting hacked up. Please post a picture of it.

Cree

Reaction score
^^^Agree with all this. If the truck has sentimental value why even take a chance on screwing it up. Sounds like it’s probably a really nice truck with only 107k on it. I personally hate seeing these trucks getting hacked up. Please post a picture of it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cree it’s your truck and whatever you do obviously is your decision. It’s beautiful, but have you considered just selling it, I’m sure it worth a considerable amount. Enough to purchase exactly what you want and done! I love my truck and it just hit 70K. I wouldn’t want my son doing this to my truck. Just saying, maybe Gramps would be ok with it going to someone who left it alone while you got one that suits you. JMO