Blower Vent Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastEnder

Reaction score
The blower on my '96 RCSB works in all fan speeds, but doesnt put out the air that it should... Ie, I can hear the blower spinning at the right speed (fast or slow depending on switch position) but when I put my hand in front of the vents, hardly anything comes out, either at high or low. Any suggestions what is wrong? The switch that directs from defrost to feet to face does seem to work, and I only feel a small amount of air coming from the defroster vents as well. any ideas what to do?

Thanks for the help.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take your blower motor out and follow the airway thats up and to the left of where the blower sits. Reach im and clean any and all debris that are in there.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

EastEnder

Reaction score
How does the blower come out? From the cab or from the engine bay? Is there a good tutorial for taking the dash apart? Thanks for the help.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the damper is stuck closed. Or the posistion switch tubing is off..

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck does that all the time. If you look up under the dash there is these little cantalevers that move your vents in the air box around and one of mine always pops off. I have to fix it like 3 times a month.... very anoying... check that out and keep us posted. Not sure if spelling is correct on cantalevers but im hopeing so.....

EastEnder

Reaction score
I will have to try and take a look at it. Can I get to these levers without taking the dash apart? Does anyone have good instructions for taking the radio and HVAC panel out?

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes you can get them fairly eas. dont have to take anything apart. the raido comes out super easy im not sure about the hvac controllet

itst9

Reaction score
After reading the posts I am having a similar problem with the vents blowing just a little on all fan speeds but the problem only occurs when i have my ac on full cold after a couple hours of driving. Its as if the system freezes up since I had my ac recharged, It never use to have this problem. To remedy this I turn the temp up a little and the air speed comes right back after a couple of minutes. Also I have taken the blower motor off and checked the vents and all seems clean, the only thing i cant locate is the little cantalevers everyone is mentioning. Any thoughts guys? Thanks

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading the posts I am having a similar problem with the vents blowing just a little on all fan speeds but the problem only occurs when i have my ac on full cold after a couple hours of driving. Its as if the system freezes up since I had my ac recharged, It never use to have this problem. To remedy this I turn the temp up a little and the air speed comes right back after a couple of minutes. Also I have taken the blower motor off and checked the vents and all seems clean, the only thing i cant locate is the little cantalevers everyone is mentioning. Any thoughts guys? Thanks

What you have going on is your condenser is freezing up.

The condensation that is forming on it is freezing before it runs off, blocking air flow

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The levers are under the dash next to your right leg. The vent door actuator controls all three valves.
Two connect to the levers via spring loaded arms and one connected directly to the actuator.