Bigtime Problems 1990 C1500 305 2WD

Fix this 305 or put in Carb 305?

• TBI

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Carb

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FackinMackiee

Reaction score
It’s a 1990 GMC 2WD with a 305 TBI. Ran on 5 when I bought it. Then it ran on none. Now trying to get her timed. Whirled it over for a bit, backfired out the intake and when I went to put the fire out. BANG. Blew both valve cover gaskets out, 2 PVC lines (one across the shop) and the Dipstick. Also a short somewhere when you turn the distributor the fuel pump kicks on and sometimes it makes noises through the exhaust (like a burp) Completely lost.

You must be registered for see images attach

86k10

Reaction score
A co worker had a backfire where it blew out the valve cover gaskets. Even deformed the covers.

He got it running afterwards but it was rough. At lease one dead hole.

He hasn't taken it apart to see what happened but said there was brass in the oil. Just bought a GM crate engine.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start with a compression check and then set it to top dead center and see where the static timing is at on the distributor. Rotor should point to #1 when #1 is at TDC. If your compression is at least 90 on all of them it will at least run. Basic things to rule out - igntion module, CTS(will not run with a dead one), fuel pump, pressure regulator. It does not get any easier than these 88-94s but it can be frustrating knowing where to start with a basket case for sure.