Best welding equipment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp after some thinking and deciding i'v enrolled in the welding program at Kirkwood community college in Cedar Rapids and will hopefully start this fall so long as they have an open spot. I'm trying to get some opinions on what would be some good products to look at since I will need a jacket, helmet, gloves, and that sort of thing. Thanks!

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well im a pipewelder,i pretty much just tig weld all day.....as far as gloves are concerned im partial to tillman gloves.....and i use a pipeliner hood....i cut it down so its really small,that way you can fit your head in tight places....i dont use a jacket cause tig welding doesnt throw sparks.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Welp after some thinking and deciding i'v enrolled in the welding program at Kirkwood community college in Cedar Rapids and will hopefully start this fall so long as they have an open spot. I'm trying to get some opinions on what would be some good products to look at since I will need a jacket, helmet, gloves, and that sort of thing. Thanks!

what kind of welding?! i did a lil, not much...my dad has been welding for almost 30 years. he gave me a set of miller gloves and they were nice and insulated. as far as jackets go he suggested just a jean type long sleeve shirt

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well im a pipewelder,i pretty much just tig weld all day.....as far as gloves are concerned im partial to tillman gloves.....and i use a pipeliner hood....i cut it down so its really small,that way you can fit your head in tight places....i dont use a jacket cause tig welding doesnt throw sparks.

How do you like pipe welding as that is what I am going to do?

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i typically weld stainless......and it has to be sanitary.....the weld has to be completely broke down on the inside cause its for food processing.so sometimes it can be a little stressful cause it has to be perfect.thats really the only bad thing i can think of.....but its also good cause "you wanna do a perfect job"......somedays are just easier then others lol....but has far as pipe welding goes,its an awesome job that not many people have the ability to do cause it takes alot of practice.

tig welding is a very clean form of welding,you dont have all the crap and sparks flying everywhere.....and if done right the weld looks awesome and once polished out everybody who walks by it cant help but look....personally i love it and i suggest you carry through with it cause once you learn it opens up tons of job options.....no matter what welders will always be needed.

go for it bro

94whitechevy

Reaction score
When picking jacket and gloves make sure you are comfortable in them. especially the shoulders. I use a stallion hybrid coat has the green cloth chest part and leather sleeves.Good for all position welding and all processes. I use a Jackson Eqc auto darkening helmet it cost a lot at the being. But i keep it clean and maintained because i am going to have it my whole career. As far as gloves those depend on the process you are welding. Tig welding uses a thin leather glove. Arc and Mig use a more insulated glove because of sparks and more heat.