Best welding equipment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Are the Jackson helmets the top of the line?

Speedglas is the best I've ever used, especially for TIG. Lightweight, great viewing lense, quick auto darkening.

Tillman gloves (I like the kidskin w/shorter cuff), and miller sleeves

Sent from my GANG GREEN DROiD

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Are you too far away to consider going to Hawkeye instead of Kirkwood? Hawkeye has a hell of a program if this is really what you want to do.

I honestly won't wear anything besides BSX gear anymore. Their gloves are excellent and one of my favorite products are their kevlar sleeves. I hate wearing full leathers so I NEED to wear sleeves most of the time, and the kevlar ones actually conform to your body unlike the normal baggy welding sleeves.

http://www.revcoindustries.com/newbsx/kevlar-sleeves-p-40.html

Of course, you're gonna want a good pair of boots, that's personal preference.

As far as a hood, I weld day in and day out with a Speedglas 9100xx. I also still do a lot of work with a passive helmet. One thing I will say, DO NOT go buy an auto darkening helmet right away. Honestly, It will be better for you to learn with a passive helmet. It really will. Go out and buy a Jackson passive hood. It's about the best you can get. Old school ****. :D

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Speedglas is the best I've ever used, especially for TIG. Lightweight, great viewing lense, quick auto darkening.

Tillman gloves (I like the kidskin w/shorter cuff), and miller sleeves

Sent from my GANG GREEN DROiD

Sorry, but DON'T get an auto helmet to start out with. Get a Jackson passive helmet.

First off, there's always gonna be times where you simply can't and won't want to use your auto helmet because you don't want to hurt it.

Second off, to start, a passive helmet is much cheaper to buy, and much cheaper to repair! A passive helmet will also help you when you start doing a bit of blind welding down the road. There's just so many good habits that you'll start using a passive helmet to learn with.

In a couple of years, when you decide to get an autodarkening helmet, the only two I would consider are Speedglas and Optrel. I love the death out of my Speedglas, and Optrel are right up there in quality. Optrels are also the only auto helmet that are still warrantied if used for overhead.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Sorry, but DON'T get an auto helmet to start out with. Get a Jackson passive helmet.

First off, there's always gonna be times where you simply can't and won't want to use your auto helmet because you don't want to hurt it.

Second off, to start, a passive helmet is much cheaper to buy, and much cheaper to repair! A passive helmet will also help you when you start doing a bit of blind welding down the road. There's just so many good habits that you'll start using a passive helmet to learn with.

In a couple of years, when you decide to get an autodarkening helmet, the only two I would consider are Speedglas and Optrel. I love the death out of my Speedglas, and Optrel are right up there in quality. Optrels are also the only auto helmet that are still warrantied if used for overhead.

I hope you're not directing this towards me. If you are let's get one thing straight; I've been welding since you were in elementary school. I started out welding with a cheap passive helmet repairing equipment on the farm. An auto darkening helmet wasn't a necessity, so we didn't need it. I get your point and I do think it's a good idea to start out with a passive, but not an absolute, especially if you're doing something like TIG welding S/S tubing together at a table all day. Not wanting to be a d!ck and I know it was probably directed towards the OP, I just want to sure you're aware that I've got a bit of experience in this area.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I hope you're not directing this towards me. If you are let's get one thing straight; I've been welding since you were in elementary school. I started out welding with a cheap passive helmet repairing equipment on the farm. An auto darkening helmet wasn't a necessity, so we didn't need it. I get your point and I do think it's a good idea to start out with a passive, but not an absolute, especially if you're doing something like TIG welding S/S tubing together at a table all day. Not wanting to be a d!ck and I know it was probably directed towards the OP, I just want to sure you're aware that I've got a bit of experience in this area.

No Josh, I was directing that at Hawkeye. Sorry for the confusion.

I've also got many years of experience, but not as many as you simply because of age. But I understand what you're saying too. It's just always good practice to start out with a passive helmet. I would also bet if he asked his instructor, his instructor would prefer it as well.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
No Josh, I was directing that at Hawkeye. Sorry for the confusion.

I've also got many years of experience, but not as many as you simply because of age. But I understand what you're saying too. It's just always good practice to start out with a passive helmet. I would also bet if he asked his instructor, his instructor would prefer it as well.

I figured that's what you meant. You're right about talking to the instructor. Probably the best place to ask.

Sent from the surface of the sun

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replays! I never really gave hawkeye a thought :shrug: but I ended up here at kirkwood. I went with a jackson AD helmet. We will run our own AD for awhile then switch to passive once everyone gets up and running decent beads. Before starting the program I talked to the instructor and they both recommended AD helmets.