Anyone tried this hommade penetrant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if any ATF will do the trick, I happen to have all but the spray bottle in my shed.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I simply use ATF, no need for the acetone. It is more of a stripper than a rust solvent. And yes, any ATF will work. And yes, it will destroy your paint. Acetone is a paint thinner/stripper. ATF will discolor your paint if left on but just a little quickly wiped off won't hurt it.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I simply use ATF, no need for the acetone. It is more of a stripper than a rust solvent. And yes, any ATF will work. And yes, it will destroy your paint. Acetone is a paint thinner/stripper. ATF will discolor your paint if left on but just a little quickly wiped off won't hurt it.

The acetone property that helps is it's viscosity. It helps the mix whick via capillary action deep down into the threads. Without it you're not getting far into the mated joint.

I've used it, it works fine. I seem to get free PB Blaster at a regular basis and it stores better so it's what I use.