Adding 4wd to a 99 c2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbbroder

Reaction score
Living in the mud hole I do 4x4 is starting to look like a really good idea to me. My truck has a 5.7 v8 and 4l80 transmission. I'm well aware that this won't be easy but my local junkyards are full of these trucks and I can get the parts dirt cheap. What would be the best way to add 4x4 and keep everything as factory as possible?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The best and easiest way no doubt is SAS

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But aren't the frames different? Wouldn't you run into problems with the driveshaft up front

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Solid axle swap. You take the ifs off the front and swap to a solid axle from an older truck. It has been done multiple times on here. Multiple is actually an understatement

Tbbroder

Reaction score
Ok so I'm guessing that by ifs you mean independent front suspension, how does swapping to SAS affect the ride and why is it easier to swap to SAS than to keep the stock suspension?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But aren't the frames different? Wouldn't you run into problems with the driveshaft up front

This right here. I've never researched the details but the frame on a 4x4 is much different than a 4x2. Something tells me you'd be better off just buying a 4x4 if you really want one.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I'm guessing that by ifs you mean independent front suspension, how does swapping to SAS affect the ride and why is it easier to swap to SAS than to keep the stock suspension?

Well sas gains you more travel than the stock ifs will allow. Once you lift your truck a certain point you will not be able to align it to the recommended specs. Going sas you can lift as high as you want while maintaining alignment

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know for the sure the frames are different because on a 2wd the crossmember under the engine goes from frame rail to frame rail while on a 4wd it stops shortly after the motor mounts so the driveshaft can pass through