AC Clutch Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why is the clutch still connected with a twisted and taped pigtail? Solder and heatshrink before doing any more wondering about why it's not working correctly.

Coils don't go weak. They either work, or don't. About the only thing that can prevent it from engaging properly is if the air gap is too wide.

Richard

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would fix the poorly made connection before I would go nuts with repairs. You can do a diode check. Your meter should have a icon setting of a arrow pointing to a like something like this ->l
It may be at your ohm setting and you may have a select button to toggle between ohm and diode.

Since it works when you tap it you most likely have a bad harness connection.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Air gap too wide can temporarily be "fixed" by tapping it, too. Or the clutch is just worn out.. if it's all grooved up and spraying metal splinters that's a sign. ;)

Richard

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did mine. The air gap at the clutch is very touchy.
Their is a "wear in" procedure that basically burnishes the clutch faces so they are flat and true to each other.
If the clutch is not flat within maybe .005 or so, it will skip. Look for metal dust.
If you have to much refrigerant and a warped clutch, it will kick on the overpressure and skip.
That should be a noticeable short cycle of the clutch.
try rotating the clutch face a few degrees at a time and checking the air gap with a feeler gauge

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep and according to GM service literature: Air gap between friction surfaces for HD6/HT6 compressor is 0.020-0.030" (0.51-0.76 mm)

Richard

deve05

Reaction score
My truck is a 95. R4 was up to 94 if im not mistaken. I have R134.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk