A/C compressor not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sanchez109

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Silverado that has a new compressor and accumulator that I just finished installing. The low and high side switches have no power going to them, jumping them does nothing. I can hear the relay clicking on, I even put a relay in without a cover and watched it (the relay) engage. I have a new fuse under the hood, what's my next step?

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jump out the pressure switch on the drier and see if the clutch engages.

Reaction score
Is there any refrigerant in the system? My understanding is that the compressor won't engage without some amount of charge. I'm bringing my AC system (that has not blown cold air in the 8 years I've owned it( back to life and heard this advise from an experienced mechanic.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1997 Silverado that has a new compressor and accumulator that I just finished installing. The low and high side switches have no power going to them, jumping them does nothing. I can hear the relay clicking on, I even put a relay in without a cover and watched it (the relay) engage. I have a new fuse under the hood, what's my next step?
Did you check the gap on the compressor clutch? Do not make the mistake of thinking it is properly gapped out of the box.