99 Suburban K1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love my suburban. You need a new door handle. Its all cracked. While you have to open it up might as well put a new one in.

That's the plan. Can I get a new lock that will work with my key if I give them the VIN? Or, do I need to get a new key also? This is the only door handle that is broken, aside from the rear one which is a little loose.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It fits in the garage! Well, barely.
You must be registered for see images attach

A quick little detail and shes looking better than ever! Still debating on if I want to keep the steps or not, but they have come in handy for my passengers so far.

Any idea on why this thing has 245 size tires? They are small and narrow for such a big truck. I am thinking of throwing on a set of 265's once these wear down or if I can find a cheap set.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It fits in the garage! Well, barely.

A quick little detail and shes looking better than ever! Still debating on if I want to keep the steps or not, but they have come in handy for my passengers so far.

Any idea on why this thing has 245 size tires? They are small and narrow for such a big truck. I am thinking of throwing on a set of 265's once these wear down or if I can find a cheap set.
245s are the stock tire size. I have 265s on mine now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Darin1047

Reaction score
That's the plan. Can I get a new lock that will work with my key if I give them the VIN? Or, do I need to get a new key also? This is the only door handle that is broken, aside from the rear one which is a little loose.

When you buy the new lock cylinder it will have to be coded to your existing key. Any lock smith can do it or maybe even the dealer. I use to work at a GM dealership years ago and learned how to do them there.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thankfully when taking the door apart, I found the original lock. It had somehow gotten pushed in and fell out. Got the new handle in, and put the lock back in place.

Took the truck to the shop the other day and I was going to have them do the U Joints, but they are not able to do it until Monday. I had them look over the whole truck, and they found the following:

-Needs a new RH tie rod
-Leaky rubber radiator plug/cap
-Needs a valve cover gasket
-Needs alignment
-Tcase seal.

I'm pretty sure this is the rubber piece on the radiator they were talking about. Went ahead and replaced it myself. Picture is the original.

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That cap is in place of where my heater hose lines that go to the rear HVAC system comes from. Is that used only for rear control suburbans? Or maybe only with 7.4 engines?

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That cap is in place of where my heater hose lines that go to the rear HVAC system comes from. Is that used only for rear control suburbans? Or maybe only with 7.4 engines?
I am not quite sure, since I dont remember it from the first Suburban I had, which was a 97. I doubt anything changed between those years.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The new replacement radiator I bought for my 99' Tahoe has that same port with a rubber cap. Came that way outta the box. My Tahoe has rear air but there was no OE hose going to that spot on the stock radiator. I was wondering what the heck it went to.