99 k1500 suburban 5.7 vortec upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did shorty's and a Y tube from JEGS into the muffler. I gained about 20 hp minimum. Going to send the ECM off for a rear delete as well. Has anyone done that? Just want to eliminate the rear sniffers.

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've read about spark plug defoulers being used to lift the oxygen sensors up and out of the exhaust stream enough to take care of the problem but have never used this method myself. From what I've heard and read they seem to work perfectly. BUT....if you're sending the ECM out for programming there's probably a program to handle what you're looking for in regards to the rear oxygen sensors.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did shorty's and a Y tube from JEGS into the muffler. I gained about 20 hp minimum. Going to send the ECM off for a rear delete as well. Has anyone done that? Just want to eliminate the rear sniffers.
Did exactly this along w/3" JBA cat-back. Well pleased along with a tuned PCM from pcmperformance.com

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did exactly this along w/3" JBA cat-back. Well pleased along with a tuned PCM from pcmperformance.com
There's another place in Idaho, Blackbear that does the PCM work as well, has anyone used them? The place you suggested in NY seems to be a bit cheaper. I want to send mine in so there is not flash necessary.

Last edited:

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer to retain my stock one in case it's needed. Plus ,no turn around time.
Now, I have a winter/economy PCM ,and a summer performance/premium fuel PCM.

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read about spark plug defoulers being used to lift the oxygen sensors up and out of the exhaust stream enough to take care of the problem but have never used this method myself. From what I've heard and read they seem to work perfectly. BUT....if you're sending the ECM out for programming there's probably a program to handle what you're looking for in regards to the rear oxygen sensors.

I spaced my o2 sensors out when I deleted the cats after they rotted out and it worked flawlessly for a few months - except i used actual o2 sensor spacers i bought from a local parts store. they're fairly cheap on amazon

After that I sent my ECM down to Blackbear and they just tuned them right out. No sense in spacers if you're getting the tune anyway.

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's another place in Idaho, Blackbear that does the PCM work as well, has anyone used them? The place you suggested in NY seems to be a bit cheaper. I want to send mine in so there is not flash necessary.
I used blackbear, and although I have no experience with the place in NY, I was 150% satisfied by the guys at blackbear. Very helpful and knowledgeable.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have longtubes in my K1500, tell me more about how they don't fit. Full exhaust and a tune is the extent of the easy stuff and from what I understand, the factory head gasket is pretty thin to begin with. There is obviously a good bit to be gained with a bigger cam if you're willing to go that far. The Volant airbox is the one to get from what I understand.

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer to retain my stock one in case it's needed. Plus ,no turn around time.
Now, I have a winter/economy PCM ,and a summer performance/premium fuel PCM.
Is it just plug and play switching the ECM's? One of the places was talking about having to take it to the dealer if you used one of their ECM's. I just need the rear O2 sensors taken out, along with the EGR. Any other suggestions?