99.9% sure our HVAC controller is dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been putting this off for awhile now and it is starting to get a little cold here. On our 2000 K3500 the defroster and recirculate functions don't work. I had to change the heater core so while I had it apart I checked that the mode doors weren't stuck. I could move them manually but I could only get it to change with floor and vent not my defrost. I would've called it good at that point but I noticed that when I turned the knob to defrost I could hear the A/C clutch cycle. I re-soldered all of the connections and didn't have any luck. I'm hoping that there is a second set of contacts that are engaging the A/C clutch. I believe that I will bit the bullet and buy a new controller unless someone has some insight as to what else may be going on.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was aware of that and that is why I am wondering if there are 2 sets of contacts in the switch, one for the clutch and one for the mode door.

oh my bad I thought you were thinking something was shorting out inside to make the a/c come on.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FIXED IT!!!
The defrost didn't work when we bought the truck last March. It turns out that the problem was that a previous "repair" was done incorrectly. There are 2 spring loaded linkages that operate the various doors and those linkages are connected to the encoder motor. One of those linkages must have come apart and someone put it back together incorrectly. If you put the linkage together on the opposite side, instead of sliding like it is supposed to, it hits a dimple and stops essentially making the linkage solid. I put together correctly and it works. I'm a happy camper!!!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
FIXED IT!!!
The defrost didn't work when we bought the truck last March. It turns out that the problem was that a previous "repair" was done incorrectly. There are 2 spring loaded linkages that operate the various doors and those linkages are connected to the encoder motor. One of those linkages must have come apart and someone put it back together incorrectly. If you put the linkage together on the opposite side, instead of sliding like it is supposed to, it hits a dimple and stops essentially making the linkage solid. I put together correctly and it works. I'm a happy camper!!!

i had those come apart on my old 94 before, little bit of a drag getting them back together

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katsout