98 GMC K2500 454 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
That L29 code that says "No Match" is the code for the 454 motor or "Vortec L29"

3:73's really help with gas mileage on these motors, keep them revved down at highway speeds.

Thanks, I knew what that code meant already, seems kind of weird the computer couldn't match it though lol.

I was hoping it had 3.73's. Much better suited for my purposes.

Also, new headlights and turn signals showed up today. Hopefully tomorrow (weather permitting) I can install those, 4-HI corners, and my HD headlight harness.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Small update, did manage to get the new turn signals installed. Had headlights but they wouldn't fit worth a crap, even after attaching them to the stock brackets. Also got my LED's installed in the foot wells, dome lights (along with clear dome lens), and door markers.

Went to the junkyard today and picked up a factory set of cab lights with wiring harness, 11 blade composite fan, and a drivers side door jamb switch. Got the door jamb switch installed already. Gonna wait for a warmer day to work on it again. I'm itching to dig into it, but lack of free time and crappy weather has put a damper on any plans for now.

I had pics of all this but they got corrupted somehow, I'll take more later.

Probably gonna order new fuel injectors and a FPR tonight, along with a few other small things.

98GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck. I didn't know they had push button 4x4. Mine's a 98 with the floor selector.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Went to the junkyard today and picked up a factory set of cab lights with wiring harness, 11 blade composite fan

I'd skip the cab lights, unless you need them to be legal pulling a trailer. I have them, and I'm pretty sure that's where water is coming into the truck. Also, the bulbs never last.

Why the 11 blade fan? I guess it's lighter, which might be a plus.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Nice truck. I didn't know they had push button 4x4. Mine's a 98 with the floor selector.

Thanks. They had 3 types of 4x4, floor, push button, and push button w/Autotrac. The push button was an option starting in '96 I believe. Everything before that was floor only.

I'd skip the cab lights, unless you need them to be legal pulling a trailer. I have them, and I'm pretty sure that's where water is coming into the truck. Also, the bulbs never last.

Why the 11 blade fan? I guess it's lighter, which might be a plus.

I've already made up my mind on installing them. More for looks in my case than legailty. I've installed sets before, including a set of 'el cheapo Harbor Freight specials. Just seal 'em up right and they won't leak. They just look bada$$ IMO. I know the bulbs can be an issue, thinking about replacing all the bulbs with LED's before I install them. A set of tow mirrors with the LED's turn signals and a 4-HI corner mod should compliment them nicely :)

And yup the fan is lighter than the 9 blade steel one that came factory, might provide better cooling too, since it does have 2 more blades, only time will tell.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've already made up my mind on installing them. More for looks in my case than legailty. I've installed sets before, including a set of 'el cheapo Harbor Freight specials. Just seal 'em up right and they won't leak. They just look bada$$ IMO. I know the bulbs can be an issue, thinking about replacing all the bulbs with LED's before I install them. A set of tow mirrors with the LED's turn signals and a 4-HI corner mod should compliment them nicely :)

What will you use to seal them up? I plan on getting new ones since my lenses have cracked, and I can't very well un-drill the factory holes. I've heard of guys using silicone.

And yup the fan is lighter than the 9 blade steel one that came factory, might provide better cooling too, since it does have 2 more blades, only time will tell.

What does the 11 blade come on? The diesel? Have you verified that it will bolt onto the fan clutch? I've always liked the big steel 9-blade, but the more I think about the 11 blade, being lighter, the more I like the idea. It would be easier on the bearing, and would be easier for the engine to spin up, since it has less mass.

Last edited:

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
What will you use to seal them up? I plan on getting new ones since my lenses have cracked, and I can't very well un-drill the factory holes. I've heard of guys using silicone.

What does the 11 blade come on? The diesel? Have you verified that it will bolt onto the fan clutch? I've always liked the big steel 9-blade, but the more I think about the 11 blade, being lighter, the more I like the idea. It would be easier on the bearing, and would be easier for the engine to spin up, since it has less mass.

Yup just plain clear silicone from a hardware store, be careful not to use to much or you'll make a mess and it can be a pain to get off your paint.

As for the fans, I actually pulled 3 from the junkyard yesterday, all from 98+ trucks with the 5.7. I have no idea if it was an option for a heavy duty towing package or what. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Got some more done to her today. My phone isn't working right so I can't upload pics at the moment. I promise I will as soon as I can.

Got the Esky cluster, blue HVAC bulbs, head unit, amp, B&M shift controller, and police/fire scanner from the '96 all swapped over.

I have a Rockford Fosgate 12" sub that I'm gonna try to build a box for tomorrow. Probably just going to put it behind the seat for now. I know it will be a tad muffled but I like my underseat room. I had a dual 10" box under the seat of my '96. Was pretty loud and pounded good, but I had to remove the jack box and it took up the entire under seat storage and it left the passengers with very little foot room. So a behind the seat box might be quieter, but much better suited for my purposes.