98 Chevrolet C1500 4.3L. Will plain AC Delco Copper plugs, be sufficient in my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have some plugs that I already purchased on Ebay. I sure would hate to waste them. I got this truck from my brother, a 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L. He was the original owner. This is my first time tuning it up. I buy most of my stuff from Ebay. I bought a new AC Delco Cap and Rotor. I got a set of Napa plug wires for .99 + 6.95 shipping. Not bad, considering they are $32 at Napa. I am a Disabled Veteran, and I learned how to bargain shop a long time ago. Now, my question is.......I bought a set of spark plugs off of Ebay. According to Autozone it is one of the plugs on the list, that is used in my truck. I bought a set of 8, really cheap. I'm talking $10 cheap. that was price plus shipping. They are the plain copper plugs. AC Delco R44LTS6. The parts store says they will work. The one mechanic I spoke to says he didn't recommend them. He said it would affect my fuel mileage. Now, I am a mechanic by trade. I've got an associates degree in it, and I was a mechanic in the military. So, I have been around a little. Just don't have any experience with Chevrolet. All my time in the trade was spent with Chrysler. My experience says that all types of spark plugs conduct the same amount of electricity, but yet, I know that copper is the better conductor. Difference being, the longevity of the life of the plug. Unless somebody has better, more experienced info for me, I think the plain copper plugs would do fine. I'd just have to do a good old fashioned tune up, every 2 years. Like the days of old. If I am right, what do I gap them at? If I am wrong, what is the best economical, and still good performance plug? I did find a set of 8 AC DELCO IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS; 41-993, for $24 + $5 sh. I know that is an excellent price, I just hate to waste the other copper plugs that I done bought. :hmm:

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Yes. The copper core plugs may even be a better choice. In my experience, after 100k or so miles - ring seal isn't what it used to be. Chances are very good that a platinum or iridium plug will be INABLE to reach its' self cleaning temperature before it fouls. (A product of blow-by.) I would NOT take further advice from the guy with the fuel mileage...he doesn't know what he's talking about. Unless, in fairness, he meant they would get worse mileage because of misfire. :)
obviously effecting mileage.

Thank you for your service.

Be sure to check the gap printed on the under hood sticker. 0.45 should be fine if no sticker.
My '97 4.3L has Delco R45TS @ 0.45 gap and pulls 26 highway mpg burning 91 octane with 155k miles on the ticker.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes. The copper core plugs may even be a better choice. In my experience, after 100k or so miles - ring seal isn't what it used to be. Chances are very good that a platinum or iridium plug will be INABLE to reach its' self cleaning temperature before it fouls. (A product of blow-by.) I would NOT take further advice from the guy with the fuel mileage...he doesn't know what he's talking about. Unless, in fairness, he meant they would get worse mileage because of misfire. :)
obviously effecting mileage.

Thank you for your service.

Be sure to check the gap printed on the under hood sticker. 0.45 should be fine if no sticker.
My '97 4.3L has Delco R45TS @ 0.45 gap and pulls 26 highway mpg burning 91 octane with 155k miles on the ticker.

Best wishes.

Thank you for your support, and thank you for your advise. I could not find anything that said what the gap was supposed to be, "because, the stock platinum's were supposed to be preset. I did check out plugs on the Napa sight, also Summit, and Parts Geek. On all their copper plugs, they stated to gap them at .060, which is where I set mine. I hope that is ok. Or I guess I'll be pulling them back out.

Rusty Nail

Reaction score
.60 sure is a big gap! Stock electronics, coil dwell and the like...i'll be curious to know how it works. I take all of the new spark plug "technology" with a grain of sand. Let's see....been working thus far, continues to break and set records.....next thing you know some goofball will build a better ice tray or improve upon sliced bread. It's gimmick sold to the sheeple masses. Makes me wonder how us stupid humans made it this far! Ain't broke, don't fix it. Thanks for not buying it.
It's just a spark plug for crying out loud. Is an 8 dollar spark plug 400% better than a two dollar plug? Of course not. Oh you'll see better mileage alright - because you changed the plugs!

Six in one is half a dozen in another.

Reaction score
I thought .060 was a bit excessive, myself. We were taught in college that, the bigger gap, the hotter spark. So I was kind of wondering if the plug tips could actually get burnt up, if you have too big a gap/ spark.

Rusty Nail

Reaction score
My thought has always been that a bigger gap reduced the intensity of said spark, stretching it too far. I do not subscribe to the idea that spark temperature is able to change at all, once established. Eventually the gap could be made so big that the plug couldn't fire across it. Your stock electronics are only capable of so much and made to do one thing. Back in my day, the standard production HEI gap was 0.35. Introduce aftermarket parts (for example) and be able to burn a bigger gap. To what effect? I'm not sure of any...
Whatever you do though - I would NOT begin a discussion regarding indexing plug electrodes. Everybody knows that an unshrouded spark burns more gas!
I run an aftermarket distributor, wires, cap and rotor. 0.45 seems reasonable given that my plugs can be found as OE and in vehicles calling for 0.35 gap. Works great for me - I have superior transfer via the aftermarket.
Many moons ago one could increase spark temperare/coil dwell and even spark timing but this simply isn't common OR REASONABLE with plastic Vortec junk. The General won't allow it. EPA blah blah global warming environment jazz. It's not real either. Much like iridium plugs getting better mileage!
Tell me how to improve the wheel.
http://youtu.be/1E6IfdUJn6s

http://youtu.be/een355zbbmM

Last edited:

jcronk69

Reaction score
My 1998 came factory with iridium plugs. The copper plugs don't last long in the newer vehicles with high voltage ignitions. I have seen Delco iridium plugs come out with over 100k and still look good enough to put back in! The iridium plugs also have a finer center electrode and a tapered ground electrode for less spark "shrouding".
When it was time for a tune up on mine, I sprang for a new set of Delco Iridium plugs. I think if you can get a set for $29, I'd go with those, that is, unless you like changing plugs every 20k :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bturner333