97 Sierra A/C Reinstallation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've perused this site for some time now for tips and stuff and finally registered. I now have my own question to ask.

I removed almost everything a/c related in 2010 because the clutch had seized on my compressor. I was having delusions of grandeur and thought I'd be getting some new high performance engine and didn't want a/c anymore.
Fast forward 6 years and I've got another son and a more expensive mortgage.

When I got rid of the compressor, I didn't think to keep the 4 bolts holding it to the bracket, so now I need to see if I can go to GM parts store and find them. Otherwise, I may need to take bracket off and take that with me along with compressor to a bolt store and see if I can find the correct length bolts that I'll need.

There were 2 electrical connectors that I stuffed under the bypass pulley to keep out of the way. 1 is a two-prong plug (I think) that plugs in to the top of compressor near pulley. Very simple. I have another round plug but I don't see anywhere on the compressor where it would plug in to. I've done some reading and seen that you can remove a snap ring on back of compressor, but wouldn't I need a new plug to install into the compressor?
I'm wondering if LMC would have provided the correct compressor? I have not been pleased with my local O' shop because their stuff seems to be too generic.
Same with the accumulator I bought. My old one had 2 ports and a place for an electrical connection. The new one I bought doesn't have the place for an electrical connection. So I ordered from LMC this morning hoping it's correct.

I had also tossed the condenser and brackets all those years ago. Seems as though the new condensers are a tad bit smaller than OE. It still fits inside the brackets and rubber bushings, but just barely. It doesn't feel very secure to me.

Any advice y'all can give to me on the compressor would be much appreciated.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm a bit of a dummy and realized the accumulator I have should work. I just needed to reuse the electrical fitting I had taken off the old one.

But apparently I'm going to need 2 new fittings: 1 on back of compressor and another on hose assembly. (Assembled hose assembly is off my 99 suburban).

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got everything put back together this past weekend and took it to a shop to get lines evac'd & charged and I'm on my way to work this morning and I start hearing a hissing sound and engine is seeming to bog down. I pull over and shut off the truck and see steam coming from the grill. Pop the hood and the compressor clutch/pulley is smoking. I turn it back on and see sparks coming out so I shut it off again. I took the belt off so it was driveable and luckily I was close to a shop that I've used before.
They just called and said the compressor seized internally and recommended replacing every mother f$%^&*g thing I just finished replacing. Is replacing all of that stuff really necessary? Or can I just replace the compressor again? Estimate was $1,800.00 for parts & labor.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I don't know the first thing about air conditioning, but I really don't see why the pump couldn't be replaced.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got everything put back together this past weekend and took it to a shop to get lines evac'd & charged and I'm on my way to work this morning and I start hearing a hissing sound and engine is seeming to bog down. I pull over and shut off the truck and see steam coming from the grill. Pop the hood and the compressor clutch/pulley is smoking. I turn it back on and see sparks coming out so I shut it off again. I took the belt off so it was driveable and luckily I was close to a shop that I've used before.
They just called and said the compressor seized internally and recommended replacing every mother f$%^&*g thing I just finished replacing. Is replacing all of that stuff really necessary? Or can I just replace the compressor again? Estimate was $1,800.00 for parts & labor.
Typically when a compressor seizes it sends shrapnel into the rest of the system. Compressor, condenser, accumulator, and orifice tube are usually replaced and the system flushed in a situation like you described.

Are the compressor and other parts you purchased not under warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Typically when a compressor seizes it sends shrapnel into the rest of the system. Compressor, condenser, accumulator, and orifice tube are usually replaced and the system flushed in a situation like you described.

Are the compressor and other parts you purchased not under warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Well damn, that sucks.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you replace just the compressor without the other parts or cleaning out the system it will just ruin the new compressor.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm irritated but guess it's my own fault, but I feel like the shop that evac'd & recharged the system on Saturday should have flushed it first. I'm betting that's why there was crap in the lines that got into the compressor. Live and learn.

It still makes me sick, but I had the other shop replace it all for me. At least it's got a 2 year warranty and yes, I should be able to return the compressor under warranty. They saved the compressor, condenser & accumulator for me. Not sure I can warranty the other parts. But at least the compressor will get me back about $210.00.

I did call yet another shop and asked for their opinion. And they said I could replace the 3 main things and bring it up there for them to flush, evac & charge for $300-400, but of course there could still be crap in the lines and I might be back at square one. And that would be after me buying new parts. I went with the more expensive and less gambling option.

I did look at the orifice tube from the bottom line of the condenser and it had a bunch of metal flakes and stuff.