97 remote starter install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
'97 C/K1500 started the security system. Mostly Suburbans, but I have seen stripped W/Ts with it too. I have seen a few '97 trucks without it as well. Easy to tell - if there is a security light that comes on when the key is first turned on.

I've got 20+ years in remote starter installs. These trucks are cake to do if you know what you are doing. I leave the OEM keyless alone and install my system beside it. The only thing needed is the door lock wires at the keyless module above the gas pedal.

Very important thing to keep in mind on '95 up GM trucks when doing a remote starter install. There are two ignition wires that must be powered up during a remote start. The main is Pink and the 2nd ign wire is white. If the white wire is not powered up the tranny will go into a limp home mode after a remote start.

I use Crimestopper products because they work great, nice to install, and they are NOT DEI (Directed Electronics) products. Many years ago a Viper system was a decent system. I can't say so much for products manufactured in the last 10 or so years. Clifford used to be the best aftermarket security/remote starters by a long shot. Now they are owned by DEI and are just another garbage DEI product with Clifford's name. I just installed a DEI product in a 2005 C1500 for a guy last saturday. It was the biggest POS I have seen in a while. I know alot of people use them and have luck with them. I hate 'em. I typically install only my own products, but made a special concession for this customer. I have done alot of starters for them and his son sent him the DEI unit for xmas.

I have run a small side business for the last 15 years and have used Crimestopper products exclusively. I just sent in my first warranty return in 8 years (on something other than a remote) last week. It still worked, but was having trouble programming a replacement remote. It is also a 10 year old unit. I have had some other items go bad, but very few. Crimestopper is who told me the last item I sent in was 8 years ago. I do anywhere between 30-60 remote starters a season and have very little issues. I am one guy - I work a day job and hustle remote starters evenings/weekends to make a few extra bucks.

OP - if you are in or near Western PA, I'll take care of you. I stock the bypass module for most common vehicles. I always have 1 or more GM truck modules in stock.

so your saying if i turn my key on and the security light comes on i have keyless entry if thats true where can i get a remote and how do i program it?

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well no security light... Is there any other way to tell? Where should the module be physically if it is there?

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so your saying if i turn my key on and the security light comes on i have keyless entry if thats true where can i get a remote and how do i program it?

I think you misunderstood me. There are two different things being discussed here. Factory keyless and the fact that a '97 can have passlock or not. They are not one in the same. If OEM keyless, there will be a box above the brake pedal. GM400 trucks use a reverse polarity door lock system (no relays) on two door models only. Four doors (crew cab, tahoe, suburban) had a relay to control the doorlocks. This relay was above the gas pedal as well. IIRC the relay is a small (maybe 2.5-3" wide by 1"), and the keyless is a much larger unit (5-6" square?).

Well no security light... Is there any other way to tell? Where should the module be physically if it is there?

The passlock is not a module. It is in the PCM. I believe it can be programmed out just like the old V.A.T.S. system and the newer passlock on the F body cars. You would need someone with access tot he files in the PCM - there are many programs that do this (LT1EDIT and others).

If you remove the shroud around the sterring column, there will be an additional 3 wire harness going to the ign switch. Usually there will be a red/white, black, and yellow small gauge wires going up the the top of the switch. There can be variations of these colors (orange/black instead of yellow), but these wires will generally be taped separately from the main ignition harness with the 12 gauge red/red/pink/orange/yellow/white wires. It will also be separate from the turnsignal hswitch harness and airbag/horn wiring (which wiil have a small black wire as well).

Typically if there is no security light, then it does not need the bypass. If you apply 12v power to the pink wire (keep connected) and then just touch 12v to the yellow wire, the truck should start and run. If it does, then you do not have any security in it. If it quits immediately and the pink wire still ahs power, then it does have a security system.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anytime. I don't see many GMT400 trucks these days, mostly the '99 & up trucks - probably the most popular vehicles for remote starts in my area. I did plenty of GMT400s back in the day though. I did alot of audio & security back in those days too. I could strip a GMT400 interior without breaking a clip or panel in about an hour. I was doing head unit & 4 speakers in a reg cabs & ext cabs for dealers back when these trucks were new. I'm probably a little rusty these days :D

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rusty is better than non-existent. Unfortunately i live in NM! lol

Last edited:

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just to check. I ground pins 4 and 8 and they cycled the door locks?? Does this mean I have keyless?
Clarifying, I am looking to see if I already have keyless entry, not passlock.

Last edited:

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rusty is better than non-existent. Unfortunately i live in NM! lol

Fly me out for a weekend :D

just to check. I ground pins 4 and 8 and they cycled the door locks?? Does this mean I have keyless?
Clarifying, I am looking to see if I already have keyless entry, not passlock.

Pins 4/8 on the relay? I don't remember the pins specifically, but if you ground those two pins and the locks cycle then you would connect your neg outputs from the aftermarket starter/keyless to these wires. Usually if they had factory keyless 12v would be required to cycle the doorlocks. GM only used rev polarity and Positive pulse doorlocks from the beginning of time (well maybe in the 70's - I never really worked with 60's cars with power locks) until the last few years. Most of the newer GM vehicles (around 2003 & newer) went to multiplexed door locks - which means they are basically 'info' on the databus.

Eggman

Reaction score
Going to tackle this by this weekend. Was going to try to wait until we got a warmer day and one a bit dryer, but I have a dry garage to give it a shot. I dont remember what the brand name is, bought it about 8 years ago. I think it starts with a U. Anyways, it seems to be straight forward.

Its Ungo RS151 by Clairion bought in '03.

Last edited:

Sscthug

Reaction score
How will I know if I need a bypass madule..98 k3500. No security that I can tell