95 Chevy 4x4 NV3500 Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I only bought that for lifetime warranty my dad has a luk in his dodge good clutch

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
check the top seal where shifter goes into tranny mine leaked from there and the rear seal and i didnt catch it in time fragged the tranny just put a remand in truck had 223 thousand when it went out,a friend had a s 10 with the nv3500 his leaked at the same spot same thing happened have read thatthese trannies are weak any way

kevrobster

Reaction score
Thanks Wally.

One update: I got the used transmission installed, but I found out the hard way that the older style nv3500's connected up differently to the shifter than the one in my 95. Not sure what year this replacement tranny is from, but I thought the guy said it was from a 91. I called him up to see if he still has the shifter, and he said he would look and call me back. He hasn't called back yet. The difference seems to be in the height of the cup on the top of the tranny where the bottom of the shifter fits into it. It is higher on this older transmission, which doesn't allow the tower to sit down far enough to get the bolts in.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to get this working? Can the shifter from my 95 be modified to fit in some way? I'm thinking I'd have take apart the tower and cut a piece off the bottom of the shifter to allow the whole tower to sit down on the tranny properly. Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted this, or if i'd be better off trying to find a replacement shifter?

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
.. Seems like you've got the 5lm60 it's worse than the nv3500 in my opponion. But I'm not sure where to guide you there buddy I'd call a trans shop that's specialty is manuals