95 Chevy 4x4 NV3500 Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevrobster

Reaction score
Last week I was towing a small trailer with my garden tractor on it (fairly light load), when a pop came from the tranny area and I lost all power to the wheels. No matter which position the shifter was in (even neutral) it would make a humming/buzzing sound as soon as the clutch was released, and the truck would not move. Initially I thought I had blown out the clutch.

I had it towed home and put it up on jackstands. I noticed a fair amount of oilly residue coating the underside of the tranny and the surrounding area. Most of it was old and dried, but some was fairly fresh indicating a slow leak (some of this is from the oil filter not sealing well). I pulled the drain plug on the tranny and less than 1 qt of fluid drained out (capacity is around 2 qts?). A few metal flakes of varying sizes also came out. Seems to me my transmission is shot.

Anyone have a similar experience? Sound like I'm on the right track?

I found a used NV3500 available for $200 that I plan to go look at this afternoon. I currently don't have any history on it, so can anyone recommend some specific things I should look for when I go to inspect it? Any basic checks I can do while the transmission is removed from the vehicle to make sure it's worth purchasing? It's a private sale so there will be no warranty.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
put Transmisson in every gear an spin shaft both ways and feel for smoothness and ease of Turning if you buy it don't put ATF in there.. Will ruin it nv3500's are picky I destroyed the input shaft on mine

kevrobster

Reaction score
Thanks. I did end up getting it. It seems to spin very easily in all gears, with very little play in the gears. Is it difficult to replace the input/output shaft seals? Would you recommend I do it before installing the transmission, or is there an easy way to tell if they are in good condition?

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As cheap as the seals are I'd do it chances are there original and no way to tell I'm sure the trans was all de greased too I did the seals in mine before it died for like 50 bucks or less now Ive bought an NV4500 im swaping in out of a 3/4 ton truck. Another thing to watch is play in the input / output shafts like see If you can wobble them I'd make damn sure the right fluid goes in it too or you'll be buying another one real soon.. Best way to fill them is take 4 bolts out where shifter bolt to it and do it that way an a little overfill is great for this trans too!

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I vouch clutch if you haven't checked it yet. I had an AutoZone clutch come apart on my '92 where the friction actually broke off the hub. For it to not move in any gears makes me think that could be a possibility. It's hard to break a shaft unless you're really wailing on it. It's normal to see some metal shavings in a manual trans, provided they aren't large. About up to a crumb in size, usually they're from the synchros. That's pretty low on fluid, but I'd say start with the simpler stuff first.

kevrobster

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll order up the new seals. I've got a big order going at Rock Auto for other problems I've found during the process of pulling the tranny that need to be fixed. Driveshaft U-joints are stiff as a board, and the input shaft seal on the transfer case is shot--bunch of fluid in the intermediate housing between the trans and the transfer case. I didn't get a chance to inspect the clutch assembly much, but the problem is definitely in the trans. The input shaft spins with it in gear and makes basically the same noise it did in the truck, and the output shaft doesn't spin.

As far as play in the shafts/wobble on the replacement trans, it does feel like the shaft will move ever so slightly side to side (if that's what you mean by wobble), but it doesn't feel loose or anything. Not sure how much play is considered normal or acceptable...

On another note, what is the best way to degrease the transfer case? It's caked with oil from the leak the tranny had, and it mixed with a ton of sand from the roads. The highway dept has been covering the roads with sand because of all the snow we've been getting this winter, and it's made working under this truck a real treat...lol.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
My bad, man. Best recommendation I can give for sand/oil/thick grime is a good foam degreaser, dish soap, and a power washer. If you don't have one, I'd recommend buying one anyway, because you'll definitely use it more than once!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck!

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used purple power and dawn and I cleaned it up nicely & as for shaft play If it's not just moving around like crazy I'd let it ride and I had chunks come out of my drain plug and it wouldn't spin output shaft either

kevrobster

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the quick replies guys! Much appreciated. I will be putting in the new trans next week, provided I can get the seals and other parts I need in time. I'll try to update the thread when everything is done.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah no problem buddy! Just lookin out for another 5 speed owner and if you're doin clutch id buy the brute force clutch cause it's lifetime warranty