94 Suburban with water in the rear section

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope that I'm posting this in the right section. I have a 1994 Suburban with barn doors and rear ac. I noticed that the carpet behind the third seat was wet after a big rain. I figured that it was a seal or something, but then I noticed that after I dried it up it came back a couple of days later after I was blowing my rear ac full blast for a while. I checked the drain hose underneath the rear quarter panel by the exhaust and the hose was tapered at one end and fell apart when I grabbed it. I stuck a wooden stick up there to see if it was clogged. Something pushed through, but after a day it was still getting wet. I was trying to find where the other side of that drain hose is and I can't figure out how to remove the rear side panels below the huge rear side windows.

I figured that I would ask you guys what you think. Thank you very much for your help.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Are you sure its from the a/c? I might check the third brake light seal. I don't have rear a/c so I can't help you there.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
If you got a roof rack, the mounting screws are a common culprit. It could have filled a pillar and is leaking slowly into the cargo area.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It hasn't rained in a while. I put a beach towel between the rear carpet and the metal to dry it up. Then it comes back. I'm thinking that I need to take the rear carpet up so that it can dry properly. Thank you guys both for your suggestions. I really do appreciate it. I hope that I figure out where it's coming from soon.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have now taken apart all of the rear quarter interior panels and can look at my rear ac leaking around the drain. The problem is I can't remove the entire section of the rear ac without disconnecting the ac lines. Does anyone know if the rear ac uses the same freon as the front ac? If I have to disconnect the rear will I lose the front ac too? Thank you guys again.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was afraid of that, but thank you very much for your answer.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
have you seen any kind of drip pan or drain on it? maybe the pan is rusted out or the hose is just clogged or fell off. and IMO dont stick stuff thru the hose. use air to blow the hose out from the top. youd be suprised how much dust and dirt can build up in those areas!
if those look fine. before ya put all the panels back on just take the good ole water hose out and start low and work your way around the truck from bottom up with someone inside the truck looking for leaks. it could come fom the window, rear pillar vents behind those black outter covers, door seal, roof rack bolts, 3rd brake light mounting holes and power wire holes for it.
and go ahead and take out the carpet as much as ya can and let it full dry. some water could just be stuck in there still.