93 gmc 3500 - Can I swap utility body for regular 8' bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffesonm

Reaction score
Looking at a 93 GMC 3500 that has a utility bed. VIN says chassis K = conventional cab GMT 400 4 x 4, 6 = 1 ton and body 4 = two door cab. Can I swap it out for a regular 8' bed without too much hassle? From reading other posts it sounds like swapping beds is typically a few bolts, fuel filler neck and wires for lights. Probably a bumper too since it's attached to the utility body. Should I expect the same going from utility body to 8' bed? Would any 8' GMT400 bed work, or do I need one from a 3500? Thanks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What's more important is whether it's a chassis cab or regular pickup. Quickest way to know would be the wheelbase, and you can probably also reliably depend on the 2nd and 3rd VIN digits - GC for Chevy or GT for GMC would be a regular pickup, GB Chevy, GD GMC would be "incomplete" meaning it left the factory without a bed on it and is likely because it's a chassis cab. The wheelbase is several inches longer and the frame rails from the rear of the cab back are totally different; they're ladder straight and have a flat profile, instead of tapering in like a pickup. Chassis cab is difficult to mount a regular bed to without frame hacking at least for the length.

For the wheelbase check the RPO sticker in the glovebox; hopefully it's still legible. You'll see the wheelbase number on the top row to the right of the VIN. Regular cab longbed pickup wheelbase is 131.5". Chassis cab will be 135.5"

If it's just a regular pickup, bed from any of them will work - 1500 through 3500. Since you're a 4x4 you'll probably want to find one that already has the factory fender flares attached if your front fenders have them too. It's a bit of work to transplant those.

Richard

jeffesonm

Reaction score
Thanks, very helpful. It's a GD so probably not worth the effort for me. Too bad, a 5 speed 6.5L diesel would have been fun.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Might as well give it a peek. If the wheelbase isn't legible on the RPO sticker (usually is unless it's totally destroyed), look at the framerails and see if they have the typical kickup over the axle. The chassis cab frame does not; they're flat and maintain an even 34" spacing from front to rear after the kickup behind the cab.

SOME of the incomplete trucks were regular wheelbase/frame but they're not very common. Enough of a chance though that you should check it out. I'm not one to recommend to anybody that they buy a 6.5TD truck, far from it, I hate them...but at least the '93 is mechanically injected so that rules out PMD nightmares. :)

Richard

blazin8556

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2500 had a service body on it, pulled it off and put on a long bed. Later on found the incomplete vehicle sticker on the back wall. I might have just gotten lucky and wound up with a regular truck.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You could also make a nice flat bed with headache rack. I like flat beds if done right. You can even make removable sides.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 was a utility bed... when I put the 8' bed on I had to weld on about 5" to the rear of the frame as there was no area for the rear most bed bolt and regular bumper set up to mount too... I just cut what I needed of of a frame at my local junk yard for 10 bucks....cut off more then you need so you can measure alot and cut to what you need to make fit right then weld on..

jlcms2007

Reaction score
The axle is wider on dualie models than one ton cab/chassis models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't give up either if the price is right.
Nuthns impossible with a welder

EDIT: and skills