92 4l80e help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_chevy

Reaction score
Speedo quit working on me, the transmission is in limp mode and have a parking brake light on now. Have replaced the VSS at the rear of the transmission (it’s a 2wd) and nothing changed, is there something I’m missing or is there something internal messed up?
It will work for for a min or 2 after letting it the truck sit while shut off.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are also input speed sensor. Had one fail to cause limp mode, but speedo worked

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it's the rear VSS that sends signal to the ECU for speedometer. On a truck I did a 60 to 80 swap I wired them backwards and ECU was saying 24 mph while truck was in Park! LOL

BTW, can you hook up a scanner with live data capabilities and see what ECU is saying. Maybe your cluster is messed up?

Also worthwhile to check for codes...

On the parking brake light, have you checked your parking brake cable? I think they can sometimes hang up.

Not too familiar with the TBI trucks, but we have some guys here that are very knowledgeable on these...

Report back what you find.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it's the rear VSS that sends signal to the ECU for speedometer. On a truck I did a 60 to 80 swap I wired them backwards and ECU was saying 24 mph while truck was in Park! LOL

BTW, can you hook up a scanner with live data capabilities and see what ECU is saying. Maybe your cluster is messed up?

On the parking brake light, have you checked your parking brake cable? I think they can sometimes hang up.

Not too familiar with the TBI trucks, but we have some guys here that are very knowledgeable on these...

94_chevy

Reaction score

Wouldn’t be able to due to running a EZ TCU and it will shift fine when the sensor is picking up the speed but goes into limp mode after a min or 2 after starting to drive. And I’ve noticed the brake light goes away when when everything is working fine then when the sensor stops detecting the light turns back on.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speedo quit working on me, the transmission is in limp mode and have a parking brake light on now. Have replaced the VSS at the rear of the transmission (it’s a 2wd) and nothing changed, is there something I’m missing or is there something internal messed up?
It will work for for a min or 2 after letting it the truck sit while shut off.
When the speedo quit on my '88, I tried a VSS. Didn't make any difference. The speedo would work--or not work--completely at random.

Turned out to be the circuitry in the instrument cluster. Not the speedo itself, it was the circuit board it plugs into.

Your '92 may be different.