89 suzuki sidekick 1.6L no electrical power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you saw corrosion inside the wire more than likely it has spread. Short term you can pull the wires and measure them and get generic replacements at any auto parts store, just pay attention and get the ones with the proper battery terminal ends. Those should handle factory load just fine on that little alternator. If you upgrade the electronics then you will probably want heavier gauge wire. Would also check and probably replace the main hot wire from the alternator to the under hood fuse/power distribution box and the one from that box back to the battery positive. Layman’s answer, Adding and upgrading the grounds just gives some stability to the whole system. Multiple paths to ground reduces load on each wire and gives a backup path if one of them goes bad or gets damaged. Good luck, chasing electrical issues is always frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you saw corrosion inside the wire more than likely it has spread. Short term you can pull the wires and measure them and get generic replacements at any auto parts store, just pay attention and get the ones with the proper battery terminal ends. Those should handle factory load just fine on that little alternator. If you upgrade the electronics then you will probably want heavier gauge wire. Would also check and probably replace the main hot wire from the alternator to the under hood fuse/power distribution box and the one from that box back to the battery positive. Layman’s answer, Adding and upgrading the grounds just gives some stability to the whole system. Multiple paths to ground reduces load on each wire and gives a backup path if one of them goes bad or gets damaged. Good luck, chasing electrical issues is always frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it is. Just my luck for something like this to happen.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the gang. Made a career chasing electrical problems. If you had a Megger you could trouble shoot the wires and insulation better (looking for shorts and opens). But that takes some skill. Good luck.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the gang. Made a career chasing electrical problems. If you had a Megger you could trouble shoot the wires and insulation better (looking for shorts and opens). But that takes some skill. Good luck.
Thank you, I’ll need it.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try and wiggle the wire with the key on and see if your loads come back on. Or, you can run your fingers down the wire pinching as you go, and if it's corroded you'll feel give in the insulation, as well as grit. It's likely to be within a few inches of any breaks in the insulation, so if you start at the battery end you'll probably notice it right away. Cut the insulation for a visual inspection once you find it, and you'll likely have your answer. I'd go 1/0 ga for the main power wire and grounds, and add another ground from negative battery terminal to alternator case.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Would this be the kind if wire your talking about?