89 c1500 A/C bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Alright, here's the thing my AC finally seized up on me. I need to find away to bypass the AC in the cheapest way possible! Due to the low funds I can't just replace the compressor. Also while I'm at it can someone explain to me why the bypass pulley won't work on the 88-89 even though the compressor itself is the same as the 90 and up??????? I re-routed my belt to atleast get her off the side of the road, but that won't hold up due to the clearance issue with the fan. Would it be possible to adjust my tensioner to correct that clearance issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated......

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I've never heard of the bypass pulley not working on the 88-98 trucks. They did have trucks in those years that didn't come with ac.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Reaction score
They did, but those trucks had an extra idler pulley to aid in clearance. Any idea's why the bypass pulley wouldn't work on the 88-89? If I had the time I'd just pick one up and try it out, but I just don't have the time for the trial and error stage, lol.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I thought on these truck you remove the a/c comp and get a shorter belt. Usually on the radiator shroud there are two belt routing options. One with a/c the other without.

Reaction score
It has the routing for the air pump (smog pump) and no air pump. The smaller belt is how I got it off the side of the road, but there is clearance issues with the fan pulley from doing this. Routing it this way causes the belt to rub against itself. Can the tensioner be loosened and slightly turned to allow the clearance or is it mounted in a specific spot??

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I don't know about the clearance issue but the tensioner is in a fixed position.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
my 88 has just a freewheeling pulley that goes in place of the ac unit/ pulley, its a big block so maybe a difference there?

you would think it would also fit small block as it just mounts in the same mounting holes as the ac pump and has the same size pulley

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
my 88 has just a freewheeling pulley that goes in place of the ac unit/ pulley, its a big block so maybe a difference there?

you would think it would also fit small block as it just mounts in the same mounting holes as the ac pump and has the same size pulley

That's how all the non AC small block TBI trucks are that I've seen also.

Reaction score
I've looked all over for it. My thought was seeing as how the same ac compressor could mount in both that the bypass pulley would work as well, but every site I've been on to look the part up has specifically left out the 88-89 in the c/k1500 but lists it available for the 88-89 suburban. I've also seen on a few threads where it was mentioned that it wouldn't mount up correctly for some reason but they never went into detail of what problems they had....... I'm hoping I can find someone with a success story with bypass pulley installation on the 88-89 just so I don't end up wasting my time. But I think I'm going to end up breaking down and trying it out this weekend anyway. If it works I'll definitely throw it up on here just to ease the frustration for future people. lol

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The dummy puller sits right where the AC is and is the exact same pulley size. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.